Chapter 4: Begin

Emma was still reeling over her encounter with the Queen in the forest. If she were to be honest, she still didn't believe it had actually happened. But from Killian's response as well as Gold's, she wasn't quite able to sum it up to a wild, lifelike dream any longer. She was going to be a Knight. Well, in truth, she already was. Whenever that thought crossed her mind, she couldn't help but smile. She had to keep reminding herself what an amazing opportunity now presented itself to her.

As soon as she had left Gold's that afternoon, she and Killian made their way back to the village with every intent on heading straight to her parent's house to share the good news. But as they entered the village, the old tavern came into view, and Emma altered her course, making a beeline for the door. Without even a beat, Killian followed right alongside her as they made their way to the tavern, seemingly already up-to-date on her plan without a need for explanation. She happened to look over at him on their way, and saw a determined smirk on his face. She copied his grin and turned back to face the tavern.

"This is a fantastic detour," Killian remarked right before they arrived at the door of the tavern. Emma laughed heartily in agreement, determination mixed with a sense of mischief etched in her face.

"Hey, Whale!" Emma shouted as she kicked the door in, the daylight from the outside streaming into the dark room, upsetting some rather inebriated guests. Killian stood to Emma's right, that same coy smile plastered to his face. Emma watched as Whale looked up from behind the bar, his expression confused as she and Killian made their way towards him, letting the tavern door close behind them and shut out the light. As soon as Whale saw who it was, his eyes grew hungry and he didn't hold back letting his gaze run up and down Emma's body.

"Oh I can't wait for you to be rid of that man," Killian growled under his breath so only Emma could hear. Emma smirked at his comment, but kept her eyes focused on Whale as she approached him.

"Emma," Whale stated, letting the word play on his lips, seeming to enjoy the way it rolled around in his mouth. Emma cringed. "How can I be of service?"

"I quit."

Whale stared blankly at Emma for a moment before scrunching his face into an expression of utter confusion.

"I beg your pardon?"

"She said she quits, mate," Killian replied, cocking his head to the side and leaning over the bar to get closer to Whale's face. Whale looked at Killian with disgust and stepped back in order to keep his personal space bubble in tact. Killian chuckled lightly.

"Exactly. I quit," Emma interjected, sealing her fate. Whale whipped his head back to look at Emma as she spoke. His face began to shift from confusion to anger.

"What do you mean, you quit? You can't quit! I won't allow it," Whale rambled. Emma kept the mischievous look on her face as he stumbled through his words, a bit of spittle flying from his lips as his anger grew.

"You won't allow it?" Emma asked with an air of sarcasm. "Well, Whale, I guess that means you'd be going against a royal order then."

"Which is punishable by death, just in case you were curious," Killian supplied. Whale looked back and forth between Emma and Killian, his expressions rotating between anger, confusion, a bit of fear, and overall frustration.

"I don't understand," Whale remarked after a moment. Emma tilted her head to the side as she sidled up to a bar stool to explain.

"Well, you see, the Queen appointed me as a Knight." Whale looked at Emma as if she had snakes for hair. His eyes kept growing wide, almost to the point that Emma feared they would pop right out of his head.