Chapter 9: Discovery

Regina could still feel her.

She brushed her hands against her nightgown, as if attempting to remove a smudge from her palm with the friction she created against the fabric. But there was no spot, no stain present on any piece visible to the eye.

She pulled her hands away, bringing them up to examine them closely. She examined them closely, looking for anything that could be causing the feeling against her fingertips. But even still, her hands tingled with the remnants of the woman in the other room.

Moments ago, Regina had slipped back into her quarters from Emma's chambers, wanting to allow her the sleep she so desperately needed. It had taken her more time than she was willing to admit to put Emma into bed and pull out of her embrace. If she was being truthful, part of her wanted to stay right there with her Knight and sleep, wanting to provide any comfort she could to Emma and keep her safe in her arms. But she had thought better of the idea, and moved back to her room shortly after.

But not before she had held Emma just a bit longer.

Regina was far from being able to sleep herself. Her body felt charged, an electricity pulsing through her veins that she had never felt before. And now she was completely unable to remove any reminder of Emma from her hands. And her arms. And the space against her neck where Emma had laid her head.

She continued to stare at her hands, willing the phantom traces of Emma Swan to remove from the surface of her skin. But as she dropped them to her sides, she knew it was a lost cause.

She didn't know what was happening. She couldn't pinpoint or describe the way Emma's presence seemed to be affecting her so deeply. Even her absence was something Regina was keenly aware of, to the point that she felt completely different without Emma around. She had always been fine with being alone, with being on her own and living the moments of her life in solitude. But now...

Now she found herself craving Emma's presence - just to walk with her, talk with her, find out anything she could, help in any way she was capable. The entire time Emma had been seeing to her mother that day, Regina had been worried sick. She had thought of a few things after Emma had left that could assist, and sent a private transport along with a few of her best guards to help the Swan family. But that was all she was able to contribute, and being separated from Emma without knowing how things were progressing or how she was feeling, had made Regina feel connected to her in a way she had never experienced with another person. As if a rope tied them together, made of metal and iron, it's strength unbreakable.

Regina scoffed. A rope tied between them? Really? What kind of nonsense was that? Her thoughts continued to roll along the same lines, chiding herself for believing in such magic she had only heard of in stories.

As her thoughts moved away from the magical tether, Regina walked to her bed, unable to find a reason not to at least attempt at sleep, and pulled back the blankets to allow her entrance onto its soft surface. As she laid her head against the pillow, her eyes stayed open, and she stared out the large window across from where she lay, the sheath of the first curtain pulled across but not blocking out the bright moonlight and stars from her view. And she stared out into the night sky, her thoughts couldn't be held back, and visions of Emma filled her mind once again.

~~~

Two Weeks Later

"Well, well, well - Miss Swan, in the flesh! I can't believe I have the honor of seeing you in person after such an absence." Gold gave Emma a mischievous grin, but Emma only smirked at him as she approached.

"It's nice to see you too, Gold," Emma returned, walking up to the older man. He surprised her by wrapping her in a quick hug, patting her on the back and giving her a once over as he stepped away.