Chapter 7: Touch

Two Weeks Later

"You live!" Killian exclaimed as he entered Emma's chamber room. Emma sat on her bed after having spent two weeks recovering from the feverish cold she had caught in the woods. Feeling wholly responsible, Regina had insisted that Emma spend as much time as necessary returning to proper health, relieving her of all of her duties, and even ordering the castle physician to visit her on a regular basis to track her progress. Only in the past 24 hours had Emma begun to feel like a normal person again, and she had discovered that Killian had been pressing to see her ever since she fell ill, practically camping out at the castle doors day and night until he was allowed in. Now that he stood in her doorway, looking a bit scruffier than usual, Emma felt the smile spread across her face at the sight of her best friend after such a long absence.

"You didn't think you could get rid of me yet, did you?" Emma responded, standing slowly from her seated position to walk over to him. He barreled through the door and met her halfway, gently enveloping her in his arms but still giving her a tight hug.

"I'm going to refrain from a response on that one because you're still recovering," Kilian remarked as he pulled away, keeping his hands clasped to her shoulders. "But I'm biting back a witty retort, just so you know." He smiled at her and Emma continued to feel her own smile stretch, truly excited to see him after a long time apart. After a moment, he dropped his hands from her shoulders and began to look around the room. Emma followed his gaze and then fell back on his face as his eyes came back to meet hers.

"Well well well, you are doing alright for yourself now, aren't you?" He asked, raising his eyebrow and subtly indicating at her surroundings. Emma laughed.

"There are some perks to being the Queen's personal guard," Emma replied. She turned to walk over to a small sitting area arranged in the corner with two small chairs. She sat down in one and indicated for Killian to sit in the other.

"How has that been?" Killian asked as soon as he had sat down. "Being in the Queen's direct employ?" Emma looked up at Killian briefly before dropping her gaze to her hands, wondering how to respond.

"Well, short-lived as of now," Emma replied with a curt laugh. "I was only on the job for a few days before falling ill."

"Right," Killian remarked. "How exactly did this happen again? Why were you out in that bloody storm?" His eyes penetrated her gaze, truly curious and confused. Emma began to fidget slightly at his inquisition.

"I was out in the storm," she began, pausing for a moment. "Looking for a horse."

Killian stared at her blankly.

"You were outside...looking for a horse..." He repeated in a monotone voice. Emma raised her gaze to him now and saw a dead aim glare directed right at her. She rolled her eyes and blew out a breath.

"I went riding with the Queen in the forest for the afternoon. We happened upon this cottage and sat for a chat until we realized night had fallen. When we pressed to leave, we discovered her horse had run off. I went in search for it while she stayed indoors, and got caught in the storm. I did find the horse, Regina found me, and we waited out the storm before returning to the castle," Emma explained quickly, moving through the motions of the events that led to her illness. She returned her gaze to Killian. His eyes were wide as they stared upon her, and she looked at him in confusion. "What?"

"I'm not sure where to start," Killian replied, his gaze unwavering. Emma looked at him curiously.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, which question should I ask first," he began, looking down at his fingers as he began to count off. "Since when was it required that you 'sit for a chat' with the Queen? Why didn't you just return to the castle on one horse? And, this one above all others, did you just address the Queen by her name?!" Killian finished, a shocked expression etched in his face as he stared at Emma. Emma's eyes went wide as she realized all she had provided in her statement. And had she really used Regina's name?