Chapter 10

Evan carelessly walked in, his right arm in a sling across his chest. What the hell happened to him? He didn't turn towards the classroom, like he usually would've done , instead he walked towards the teacher, pulling a late slip from his pocket.

Every kid in the class was staring at him, specifically his sling. There was no way he had hit Craig that hard. I turned my head to see what his friends thought of the situation, and they looked scared. Well, Tyler looked scared, the others looked intimidated.

The teacher took the slip from his hand and handed him the two worksheets we were working on. Once she had done that she waved him off to his seat. He walked over to where his friends were and sat down.

Well, looks like today just got a little more interesting.

-------------------

"Have fun at school, sweetie! And be careful about your hand!" Evan's mom said as he left the front office, his backpack slung over his left shoulder and a late slip tucked into his left pocket.

The lady at the front desk had said it was third period, so he guessed he should probably just head straight to Mrs. Sneau's classroom, after all he barely had anything in his locker as it is.

After a few minutes, he finally reached the classroom door, having passed a few stray students on the journey. He reached for the handle with his left hand, since he couldn't really use his right seeing as it was in a sling. Stupid tree, he thought to himself crossly.

Evan walked into the class, immediately feeling everyone's eyes on him, exactly like he had expected. After all, he had caused quite a scene on Monday, and it was now Thursday, well that and the fact Evan now had his hand in a cast.

Ignoring the stares, he walked up to the teacher and handed her his slip. She looked at him curiously before taking it, she placed it on her desk and turned to retrieve a couple sheets of paper. Worksheets, no doubt. She handed them to Evan and waved him away to his seat.

He turned towards the classroom, walking down the middle row to his seat where he saw Tyler, Chilled, Galm, Smarty, Ze, and Tom were sat. He sat next to Tyler, as he usually does, and greeted them.

"Hey guys, what did I miss?" Tyler seemed a bit surprised at his tone, obviously expecting Evan to still be in a bad mood. Evan thought that he had known him better than that, he wasn't one to visibly hold a grudge, unlike some people.

"Welcome back, Ev. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your hand?" Chilled said after Tyler had taken too long to reply

"Oh, you know. Just punched a tree really hard. Several times. It may have been a bad idea." Evan answered, smiling. The guys included him into their conversation as he tried to figure out how to write anything on the paper in front of me. It was proving to be quite difficult, considering he wasn't left handed and his right hand was in a cast. He also wasn't supposed to use it for a month either. Isn't that just great?

"Ev? You ok? You've been staring at your paper for the past five minutes." Tyler asked, confusion and concern in his voice. Obviously, he couldn't comprehend Evan's predicament.

"I'm trying to figure out how to write. In case you hadn't noticed, I kind of broke my hand, and I have no control of my left one." He fumed, turning his confused gaze into a full on glare at the defenseless paper.

"Oh, right. Sorry..." His friend said quietly, not knowing how to handle Evan's current mood.

"It's fine, I did it to myself." Evan sighed before turning to face Tyler. "So, how have things been while I was gone?"

Tyler tried to not act shocked at Evan's casual tone, like it was just any other school day and he hadn't caused a huge scene on Monday. "Pretty good, haven't had any pop quizzes or any bullshit like that. Work's been pretty easy, and I still have yet to learn anything."

"So it's like I never left? Great." Evan joked, causing a small chuckle to escape Tyler's lips.

After that, the boys continued to talk, Evan now abandoning his paper since he obviously couldn't do it himself. They laughed, they joked, and talked about whatever they wanted until the bell rang.

------------

After fourth period, it was time for lunch. And both Evan and Tyler were nervous, not that Evan would ever admit it.

But just as they were about to reach the cafeteria doors, Evan remembered something. He stopped, looking at Tyler. "I forgot, I have to go get something, real quick. I'll meet you inside, ok?"

Tyler thought Evan was lying, just making an excuse to get out of facing his friends. But when he saw the look in his eyes, he knew he wasn't lying, Tyler was his best friend, he knew these types of things.

Nodding, Tyler agreed, waving Evan away as he entered the cafeteria. Deciding he wasn't hungry, he bounded over to his usual table where his friends were sat, talking in hushed voices. They looked expectantly at Tyler as he sat down.

"So? Is it true? Is Evan back?" Craig asked, nervousness creeping into his voice, whatever confidence he had a few days ago seemed to disappear.

Tyler nodded, glancing back at the entrance to see if Evan had already found what he needed. But to no avail, he had yet to arrive.

"Is he pissed off?" David asked, an underlying touch of fear showing through his somewhat calm voice, his Irish accent making it sound a bit funny.

Tyler shrugged, remembering Evan's attitude during third period. "He was pissed in math, but it was for an entirely different reason. He hasn't even mentioned what happened. At least not to me....."

They nodded, cautiously continuing some random conversation about nothing, becoming absorbed in the nonsense that was flooding out of their mouths. Tyler tried to do the same, except he constantly found himself glancing behind him to see when his friend would return.

After five minutes, he allowed himself to pay more attention to the conversation rather than the entrance. Apparently his friends were in the middle of a discussion about peaches.

"I'm just saying, peaches are disgusting. They should be banned from all existence." Brian said, leaning back in his chair for dramatic effect, but it backfired since all that was behind him was open air. He fell to the floor with a thud, his arms flailing for stability as his friends laughed at him. Brian opened his mouth to yell at them when he caught a glimpse of the entrance.

His mouth slowly started to close as he moved his head to get a better look. By now the guys had stopped laughing and turned towards the front of the room.

Because Evan had finally arrived.