Chapter 14

S I X T H   G R A D E

"Hey, Evan!" Lui said, running up to him as he began to walk home. "Wait up!"

Evan stopped, smiling as he waited for Lui to catch up, also letting him catch his breath. "What's up?"

"I need to ask you something. Well, not really ask, just tell you something, because I trust you. You can keep a secret right?"

Evan chuckled, tilting his head curiously. "Of course, Lui."

Lui put his hand on Evan's back, turning him back around and continuing to walk to his house. "Good, because this is really important and I figured you're the safest person to tell."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Evan asked, coming to a stop as they reached a four-way intersection.

"Well, remember that thing you told me last year? About that guy?"

Evan's eyes widened. "Oh, yeah, that. Yeah, I remember. Thanks for not telling anyone, by the way."

Lui smiled. "No problem. So, you know that new kid right? David?" Evan nodded. "I might have a crush on him."

This time Evan stopped because of what Lui said. "Oh my god, that's amazing! You two would be so cute together!" He cleared his throat. "Sorry."

"It's fine. I just, I needed to tell someone, I guess. It'll probably be gone in a week, but, you know, I feel better telling you, ya know?" Lui looked at Evan, his eyes showing mixed emotions.

He nodded. "Of course, Lui. I won't tell anyone. You did the same for me, it's fine."

Lui let out a breath of relief. "That's so good to hear." He paused for a moment. "Do you think he likes me too?"

Evan ruffled his hair. "I don't know what to tell you there, Lui, I hardly know him, but he might. Actually, I think he's staying at mine tonight, you know because his parents have that thing?" Lui nodded.

"Really? You could find out for me?" The shorter boy looked so excited as Evan nodded with a chuckle.

"Of course, anything for one of my best friends."

---

Nothing. An entire day with the guy, and Evan could find out absolutely nothing. Figures.

"Night, David." Evan yawned, turning off the light as he turned over in his bed, pulling his covers around him for warmth.

"Night." David was staring straight up at the ceiling completely wide-awake, listening to Evan's breathing go softer and softer until it was slow and even. The soft snores coming from his friend told him he had fallen asleep.

It was weird, being in Evan's house after barely knowing him, and he had barely talked to him all day as well. Even though Evan had tried multiple times to get to know him, he felt terrible, but Evan was so nice. Despite his rude behavior.

Evan's friends were nice too, everyone was so nice. And all he had done was awkwardly stand there next to them when they were practically shouting, making grand hand gestures, and accusing each other with strings of cuss words.

But, Evan wasn't exactly like them. Sure, he made jokes, but usually they were one-liners, smart-assed remarks made after someone else did something stupid. Other than that, he was mostly quiet, usually silently smiling while everyone had burst into laughter. Somehow, he fit perfectly amongst them.

Four hours later, he didn't remember falling asleep.

---

"David, come on, we have school." Evan nudged his friend's shoulder, already fully dressed.

"Not today, mom." David's speech was slow and slurred, Evan assumed it was because he was tired. He laughed softly.

"Come on, get up." He nudged him one more time before going over to his backpack, bringing it up on his bed and making sure he had everything he needed as David woke up behind him.

-

Half an hour later they had reached the school, David stumbling along.

"Yo, dude, are you okay?" Evan asked him, placing a hand on his shoulder to steady him as they waited on the side of the school for their friends.

"Fine its." David slurred, and immediately Evan knew what was wrong.

"Did you actually grab a beer from my dad's cooler? Dude, what the hell?" Evan kept his voice down to avoid attention.

David put a finger to Evan's lips. "Shhh, it's fine, Ev, it's all gonna be okay."

Evan pushed his hand away. "Dude, this is not okay, you can't be at school drunk! Come on, I'm taking you home right n-" Evan was pulled back suddenly, hitting the wall behind him, knocking the breath out of him as David kissed him.

Evan's eyes widened, pushing him off just in time to see Lui storm off.

He saw his friends begin to walk towards him from the other direction, he left David and ran after Lui.

"Lui! Please, let me explain!" He shouted, out of breath as he reached Lui halfway to his house.

"Explain what? Huh, Evan? That you're a backstabbing, heartless bastard? Is that it?" Evan violently shook his head at the anger in Lui's words. He could barely breathe.

"No, Lui, that's not...it. You don't....understand." Evan was gasping for breath, Lui didn't care, he pushed him onto the ground.

"No, I understand perfectly, Evan. You're just selfish."

"No, he, he-"

"Oh so you're blaming him? Wow, I didn't think you could get any lower than this."

"He was drunk, Lui!"

"I'm not buying your bullshit, Evan. Not this time, just be happy I'm not gonna tell anyone about this."

"But, Lui-"

"Fuck off, Evan!" Lui stormed off, leaving Evan on the ground, still breathless with tears in his eyes.

Still unable to breathe, he curled up on his side and tried no to cry right there and then.