N x Reader

THAT'S RIGHT!!! THIS ONE'S AN UPDATE!!!! I might do a song story soon. That's where the story's based on a song. OMG never could have guessed. Also, I'm thinking about making an Attack On Titan Levi fangirl book, where I just write Levi x Readers and other Levi ships and smut. Because this guy is amazing. And hot. Really hot. He's also Attack on Titan's resident short person. Seriously, he's like 5' 2". AND HE'S FREAKING AWESOME DID I MENTION THAT??? Okay, I'll stop now. 

All her life, (y/n) had been an outcast. An outsider. Forgotten, alone. No one understood the pain of being mute, and to make matters worse, she was an orphan. Abandoned at birth. 

Perhaps her parents hadn't wanted a child that couldn't speak. Maybe they just didn't feel they could take proper care of her. Whatever the reason, she was alone, alone forever. Nobody wanted to be friends with the girl everybody shunned, fearful that they too would become outcasts.

At night, the girl would climb onto the orphanage roof and gaze up at the stars. She would try to count them all, but she never made it past 100 before she drifted off to sleep. In the morning, she'd rise, climb down from the roof, and eat breakfast. 

Their classes were minimal, to say the least. (y/n) suffered through long, boring lessons. No one realized just how smart she really was, thinking that she was dumb just because she couldn't talk. The only word they could understand her saying in sign language was when she flipped them the bird. 

One day, the sky was cloudy and overcast. (y/n) couldn't sleep on the roof like normal. The seventeen-year-old girl was forced to sleep in the dorms, full of children who hated her. This had happened before, but those other times, the headmistress had just let her sleep in the mess hall, taking pity on the poor girl. 

Recently, she'd retired, and now they had a different headmistress, one who couldn't understand sign language, one who hated (y/n) just as much as the children. 

She slept on the floor. It was cold and uncomfortable, not the regular moss covered roof she'd grown accustomed to, the usual stars painted above her in a swirling masterpiece. Now, there were no stars to count. Just noisy snoring. The girls had kicked her out, saying that she was a freak, they didn't want to spend a night in the same room as her. 

So now she was sleeping in the boy's room. One little child gave her his blanket, still too young to understand that she was to be avoided. 

"What's your name?" he'd asked. She signed it. "No, your name," he repeated. She tried again, gesturing to show that she couldn't speak. He still didn't get it. "I guess you're just too shy to talk. That's okay." 

She'd smiled at him. The next morning, the little boy was beaten up, bruised and bloodied. She heard it was for talking to her. After everything they'd done to her, it was that action that finally drove her over the edge. Grabbing a spare blanket and a hunk of bread, (y/n) stole away the next night, determined to get as far away from there as she could. 

"Are you okay?" a voice asked. It was soft, surprisingly so. Most of the voices that surrounded (y/n) were harsh, bitter, full of biting remarks and rude comments. This one was kind and gentle. 

She sat up carefully. Where was she? Oh. Now she remembered. The forest. She'd come here after escaping that hell hole. Opening her eyes, she gazed into tender grey eyes. Green hair wound its way down the young man's back, falling over his ears. He brushed it back again, staring at her curiously. She wished he could understand her. 

"But I can," he said. Shocked, the (h/c) girl rocked back. Surely he was bluffing? But why would he lie about that?

"I'm not kidding. Think of a number."

She thought of forty-two. "Forty-two," he said. 

I would gasp if I could, she thought.  He chuckled.

"I've always been able to tell what pokemon are trying to say. I guess you just want to talk so much that it works for you too," he said. 

Makes sense, I guess. 

"So what are you doing out here anyway?"

She didn't answer for a while, her thoughts conflicted and dark. From what he could gather, she'd left a bad place. She'd been there her whole life, and had been mistreated. The only happy memory he could see was of stars. . . stars and a mossy roof, and wind. 

"I think I get it. You like the stars, huh?"

She nodded. What's your name?

"Oh, I'm sorry. Where are my manors? My name is N. I had a strange childhood too."

She nodded again, sensing that he understood how she felt. 

"Do you have a home?"

Not anymore.

"I'm sorry."

Don't be. I'm (y/n), by the way. I know because my parents left a note when. . . she showed him her faint memory of being set on a cold stone step, wrapped in a hole-ridden cloth that was meant to keep her warm. She remembered not crying. That was something she only did when no one was around. She couldn't show weakness.

She felt something around her waist, and saw that he was hugging her.She'd never been hugged before. It was a good feeling. The other girls were always doing this, and even the boys sometimes had their bro hugs, but this felt different. Less practiced, more. . . hesitant. Caring. Genuine. 

He pulled away, and his face seemed to be a different color than before. It was dusted pink on the cheeks. Her own face got warmer, and she wasn't sure why. There was this strange feeling she was getting, too. 

"It's called blushing. And that feeling. . . I think it's love."

What's. . . love?

"Let me show you." He slid a finger under her chin, still hesitant. As though forcing himself not to back out, he pressed his lips to her's. So this was kissing. It felt. . . nice. A new feeling, letting someone else touch her lips like that, but not an unwelcome one. 

This means you love me? 

"That's pretty direct. Yes, I do love you. And I can tell you feel the same," he said, pulling back for a minute. 

It's always so lonely. . . I just met you, but please don't leave me. Everyone else. . . she sent him more memories, of her pain and banishment. 

"Don't worry. I won't leave you, (y/n). You won't be alone again."

Neither will you, N. I promise. Now you promise me.

"I promise, (y/n). I'll always be with you. Now get some rest. You look tired."

She used his leg as a pillow, staring up at his face while he brushed (h/c) hair off her face. His cool, slim fingers felt nice on her face, and his soft green locks dangled over her, making her feel surrounded, safe. 

For once, she fell asleep during the day, without the stars. And they kept their promise.