CHAPTER TWO

Reality in a Dream

Chrystal

I zoned back to reality and realized I was still standing across the street from the park. I had no idea how long I had been standing there looking like I was all doped up on drugs, but I wasn't going to waste more time worrying about it. I continue to walk down the sidewalk, observing the way the chipped concrete moves under my feet and note how many weeds have grown between the cracks.  I didn't need to pay attention to where I was going, every muscle in my body knew every turn, every building, and what used to be in the rubble in between. I also don't have to worry about getting messed with, Braden made it very clear that I was not to be touched, let alone looked at.

I walked up to a small, weathered apartment building. I climbed up the corroded fire escape ladders all the way up to the fourth floor. I tapped on the window three times, then four, then three again and leaned back against the the unstable rail waiting for him to come escort me inside. It took him a while, so I figured he had a lady friend over. He confirmed my assumption when he came to the window bare-chested and the button on his pants wide open. He jammed the window open and waited for me to slither in. Once inside he jolted it back down and turned to me.

Tilting his head to the side he lifted up his hand and placed it on the back of my head, gently pulling me into his bare chest. But I pushed away. I refused to cry again. I refuse to be weak right now, I'll have time for that later. I slink into his room and reached into the top drawer of his dresser and grabbed one of his T-shirts. I went straight to the bathroom and shut the door before Braden could bug me about what was wrong. I didn't have enough energy to talk about it. Reaching into the shower I turned the hot water on. Stripping of my clothes, I looked in the mirror and traced all the bruises and scares life left me, and some I left myself. I stepped into the shower, feeling the pitter patter of the steaming water hit my back. I closed my eyes and went through the events of today, every single detail. I didn't cry. I still refused to. I looked over and slowly picked up Braden's razor and began to shave my legs.

Starting at my ankle I steadily slid the razor up my leg. When I passed my knee and got to the top of my thigh I pressed down and quickly swiped sideways. I didn't need to shave my legs, I shaved last night. This was just my excuse. Over and over again, every time I reached my thigh. Pink water filled the bottom of the tub and blood rushed down my legs. The water tortured my cuts as it washed off all the dark liquid. A slight knock on the door snapped me out of my daze and I shakily got out of the tub, dried off and slipped on Braden's T-shirt. I swung open the door to Braden staring at me with weary eyes. "Are you okay? What took so long? You didn't hurt yourself again did you? Damn it Chrystal!" He flooded me with questions. I simply looked at him and passed by the hurt puppy, to the bed.

I guess he took it as a hint because I felt him slide into bed next to me and I hid my face in his chest before I drifted off into the peaceful darkness

                           *********
"I'm done!" I yelled as I walked into the crack house I call home. Almost instantly my father walked in and started accusing me of stuff I wasn't here for. I internally rolled my eyes and sat there listening,hoping he wouldn't beat me again. But like always he did and I ended up passed out on the floor. When I came to my brother, Clouse was kicking me in the side for who knows how long. I made the mistake of whining in pain and my family laughed and called me weak. Clouse's friend, whose name is not important, was over,making it much worse for me. After a while my parents left to go smoke who knows what and my brother intentionally gave his friend some alone time with me.

I lay on the floor as my brother left and almost instantly his friend was on top of me and started his slow routine raping me, just like every other time. When he was done, he left me on the cold floor, creating goose bumps on my bare skin and my clothes ripped to shreds. I got up, picked up my mess and went to my lousy excuse for a bed in the hall. I grabbed a new set of clothes and shakily put them on. I should be used to it by now, but I don't think I ever will be.

I didn't even get to start my homework before my parents called me in again. Hesitantly walking into the living room, I noticed a new person, a person I've never seen before. They interrupted my thoughts about who he was and talked to me like I was a slave they just sold.  "Chrystal, this is your new father. But he likes to be called daddy. You won't be living here anymore. We all hate to lose you but we need the money."He said no sorry at all. More like hate to lose your punching bag/slave/sex toy. But before you go I would like to see you. "My father added as he walked down the hall and into his room.

I obediently followed, not wanting to be beaten again, although I already know what's coming and it's much worse. Almost as soon as I walk in I was on the bed and half naked.

                     **************
I bolted out of bed and went straight to the window, trying to catch my breath. That wasn't even half of what happened. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I jumped back and ran across the room. I forgot I was with Braden. I know I'm safe. Once my eyes fully adjusted to the darkness, he slowly approached me and pulled me into a hug. "I wish you could tell me what was wrong so I can make it better. "He whispered in my ear but I couldn't. I didn't have enough strength in me to do that. So, I looked up and told him with my eyes, and with one simple he understood.

We stared in each other's eyes longer than normal people. But then again we aren't normal, nowhere near it. He's the first to break the comfortable silence, "Do you think you'll be able to go back to sleep or do I need to stay up with you?" I responded with a pleading look and he slightly nodded. We made our way to the kitchen table and he made us vanilla milkshakes and pancakes.

It wasn't long before the sun rose and shined like it was the best day of this horrible life. But it's not. Today is much worse than yesterday because now, now I have to learn to live with everything that has happened.