CHAPTER ELEVEN

Chrystal
   Step. Step. Turn. Thud. Thud. Squeak. My feet move to their own silent rhythm and drum on the floor. At this point my body knows more than I do. The girl in the mirror is pacing with me, mocking everything I do. My feet wander off their trail and slowly take me to the mirror, ending with a calm stop. She looks confused as she stares back at me. Still mocking me, her eyes trace my body. Her hand, hesitant and shaky, gently rests her fingertips on mine. My heart creeps from my subconscious to my conscience, making itself know. My blood flows to the beat of my heart, dancing as it reaches the ends of my body. My chest moves up as my abdomen moves out. Cool air dances along with my blood then slowly dissipates as my chest sinks and my abdomen follows. And she still followed my movements in every way.
My eyes search the stranger for anything of familiarity but come up short. The stranger leans toward me and the pupils in her hazel green eyes recoil. Her eyes search mine as I search hers. I could see inside her. In some places she was torn like Cinderella's dress and in others you could see where someone had mended part of her together. She was broken, bruised, and scarred.
The knocking at the door should have pulled me from looking into myself, and it almost did, but something stronger took control. It's almost as if she pulled all of me into her eyes where everything is dark. I close my eyes hoping I'm just having another terrible dream. I open them. The light stabs at my eyes until they adjust. The grass reflects and worships the sun, growing taller each day. A little girl giggles and runs into the bushes, followed buy an older boy. They chase each other out of sight, hidden behind bushes as shields, and just before they get out of earshot I hear one name that makes my heart drop.