CHAPTER TEN

Chrystal

My hand fumbled against the wall and my fingers finally flip the switch, causing the room to light up. My mind was way to busy to notice anything but the bed that was on the far wall. I imagined myself walking to it and falling face first, but physically I was still standing by the door zoned out. Taking a deep breath, I let everything sink in and took my first step towards the bed, which lead to other following steps until my face was buried in the blankets. I rolled over and tugged the sheets out of their tucked in spots under the corners of the bed and covered myself. As I pulled the blanket up to meet the sheets, warmth surrounded me and my eyes became more droopy than before. Darkness  surrounded me before long and I welcomed it.

The sun pierced through the dead darkness and I jump up from a terrible dream. Squinting my eyes, I realize I have no idea where I am or how I got here. The more I thought the more I realized I don't know much of anything. I slip out of bed and pad to the door. After opening it, I look out to see hall ways with shadows of light and wooden doors. I wonder around for hours before I finally see some one.

They walked around the corner and when they noticed me they smiled real big. "Chrystal! Good morning sleepyhead. We were worried you wouldn't wake up. I was actually just on my way to come get you." The person said. How do they know me, do I know them? Is that my name? Chrystal? So many questions rummage through my head like they had lost something important. "Who are you?" I asked and their eyes widen as disappointment poured in accompanied by concern. "You must have sleep too long. I'm your brother. We just met yesterday." The man said. He ran his hand through his dark neatly complex hair as he breathed out.
"N-no I don't know you, I don't know where I'm at. I don't even know who I am." I said, speaking the truth blindly to a stranger.

My heart recognized him but my mind didn't. I don't know what's happened to me. "Um, can you follow me please? I won't hurt you or anything I promise. I'll just take you to a doctor to see what's going on up there." He said in a polite, confused manner. I took a step towards him and a flash of lighting in my brain caused me to hesitate. A sense of familiarity filled me from my toes up, but didn't quite reach my mind. My whole body knew where I was, yet I  have no idea who or where I am.

I nod my head in response and walk behind him, carful not to get lost. The rhythm of our steps echoed in the hallways and followed us around every corner. I stare at my feet and watch the way I walk. How my feet and legs move like they have everyday of my life that I can't remember. Is my life worth remembering? It has to be. It has to be better than this state of confusion. It's like a solid wall stands between me and my memories. What does a memory feel like? Does it bring emotion or is it just there?

My thoughts are interrupted when I bump into the guy who claims to be my brother. I look up to find he has transformed into another person. He looked at me and smiled as if he knew me. For once my mind screamed at me and I felt like the wall might possibly crumble and my memories would fly free, but nothing else happened. "Hey are you okay?" His deep husky voice pulled me closer to him. I didn't respond though. He instantly pulled me into his chest and whispered, "It's gonna be okay baby." How can I feel so safe and warm with a complete stranger. I sucked in a breath and lightly pushed away. He looked back down at me confused. My brother lightly put his hand on the man in front of me and whispered, "She doesn't know who you are. She doesn't remember anything Braden.

"Braden?" I ask and the man in front of me turns to face me. His eyebrows furrow. I look into his eyes and see his memories that will never know. "Wh-who are you? Why do I know you but I can't remember you? It feels wrong to feel so safe when I'm with a stranger."

Braden

Those words impaled my heart and shred it into a million pieces. She doesn't remember me. I can see the confusion in her eyes and suddenly they're filled with fear. I look at my self and I see all my cuts and scars. She doesn't remember how I got them, or that the majority of them were from protecting or providing for her.

"I-I have to go. Can you find out what's wrong with her Markus and keep me updated?" I ordered, his eyes gleamed with anger but he nodded his head and walked in the opposite direction. Chrystal stared at me for a second longer than normal and for moment a flash of remembrance lit up her eyes before she turned and followed Markus.

Chrystal
"I don't know what's wrong with her. Everything is fine. I've done all the tests I can do and nothing shows up. It's a mystery to me how, but she must have amnesia. Whether it is temporary or permanent, we will just have to wait and see. Try telling her things she might remember and taking her places she has gone, refresh her memory of things that were important to her." The doctor spoke with calm intelligence and used his hands as he talked. Markus nodded his head  and glanced at me every now and then.

After we left the room I followed him down more hallways until we came out to a garden. "Um, I know I said I was your brother, but I don't know much. I do know someone who will know everything." He said as we sat at a stone bench. He got up again and turned to me. "Stay here and I'll send them out to meet you."

The garden is beautiful and full of colorful greens, pinks, purples, and many more artistic colors. I sat admiring each bush and flower. "They're breathtaking aren't they?"
Beside me, a gorgeous woman sat with long, perilous blonde hair. Her rosy pink lips form in a tight smile and she looked into the garden. She dragged her gaze to me and something flashed in her eyes. I couldn't tell what it was, but my gut turned and twisted in a knot. Nothing felt right.

"I know how to fix you." She said and placed her hand on my knee. I looked at her in confusion. "I can get your memories back. But there is a price." She bent over and picked two roses. "But we can discus that later." Her small hand covered the bloom of one of the roses. She tightened her grip, twisted her hand and pulled the flower off its stem. Opening her hand, she showed me the wrinkled pedals and stood up, signaling for me to follow her. She walked towards a fountain and laid each pedal in a different part of water. After they have spread all round the fountain she placed the other, whole rose in the water. We sat in silence before she spoke again.

"When you spread things out, things work out better. Everything is more free and has room to work and function. But, when you keep everything as one big mound, " she picked up the single rose again,"everything is attached. There is always something to stop you from being free. Although it may seem beautiful as one, there is always a trap. The thorns on the stem of a rose, for example. The stem holds the flower together. Without the stem and its thorns, everything can fly free. Including your memories." She glanced at me then back at the fountain. She took a deep breath and turned to me. "Come find me if you want your memory back." Then she stalked off into the mid-day darkness. "How?" I said, but it was too late. She was gone.

"Hey, stranger." I recognized the husky voice behind me. My confused heart calmed down as I turned to face him. "Hey. Braden, right?"