Chapter 4

Recap: Blake tells Erin that there Mom has requested to talk to them after 2 years of no communication and it causes Erin to remember past memories:

The water, the stealing, the nights I would sneak into Blake's room just to feel safe, and......mom.

"No, no, no! I cry out.

"Blake, please don't make me do this! Please! We are doing so well now and you want to bring all of the memories back just because she's trying to mend things with us now?!"

He pulls me to his side and hugs me, just like he used to. I tuck my head into his side, not wanting to face reality.

"Erin, please don't hate me. I know that it was terrible for us. Especially for you. But we haven't seen or talked to her in 4 years and as much as she put us through I think that we at least owe her one talk."

I clutch my bed cover tightly in my hands.

"Do you really think that Blake? That we owe her something? We owe her NOTHING! I'm not just being over-dramatic, okay? I know that I wasn't the only one that got hurt, but did Daniel ever try to drown YOU?!" I shriek.

He falters before answering me, not wanting to upset me further.

"Rin.. when Dad died it destroyed Mom. She wanted to feel secure and safe again, so she found Daniel. I'm not about to defend Mom because I know that she left us completely alone when she went into depression... And she also let that bastard ruin our lives. But he's gone now and he's never coming back. And now that Mom has gotten help I think we should give her a second chance."

I jerk out of his grasp and run to the doorway, spitting the words, "You're stupid for even thinking that I would agree to this," over my shoulder.

I rush down the stairs with tears in my eyes and a sob building in my throat. I grab Blake's car keys off of the table and sling my purse over my shoulder. I slam the door shut and run to Blake's car, jumping in and locking the doors.

My head slumps against the steering wheel as I let out the sob that's been building. I try to imagine seeing Mom again as I go over everything that Blake just said to me. My phone goes off in my pocket, pulling me out of my reverie.

Bro: This conversation isn't over. Be back before curfew. And DON'T wreck my car.

I shut off my phone and tuck it back in my pocket, smiling grimly as I think about Blake seeing the read notification without a reply.

Okay Erin, stop crying. Those memories belong in the past so just forget them and go have a good time.

I take a deep breath as I run through my list of options of places I could go before deciding to just drive and see where the road takes me. After switching the radio to my favorite station I roll down the windows and pull out of the driveway.