Taking The Stage (Teen Fiction)

A chaotic scene of rushing people greeted Bellamy when she opened the door to the TV studio. Voices echoed off walls as footsteps thundered about. Bellamy stepped into the madness, closing the door behind her. She zigzagged her way through the mayhem. Halfway down the main hallway, lined with photos of the talk show host and celebrities, Bellamy stopped one of the crew members.

"Hi, I'm looking for Teddy Mathews's room," she said.

The harassed looking man, pointed further down that hall.

"Third room on the left."

Before Bellamy could say thank you, the man was sucked into the storm of motion. Bellamy dodged her way to the room. She knocked and a male voice told her to come in. She slipped in, muffling the noise outside as she closed the door.

A man in his mid thirties, wearing a button down shirt, with the sleeves rolled up, jeans and converse, sat on the couch plucking away at a guitar. He looked up at Bellamy. He had thick, dark brown hair, that was messily pushed back, a handsome, youthful face and chocolate eyes. The family traits he had inherited from his father.

"Hey, Bells," her dad said, giving her a wide grin.

Bellamy crossed her arms and leaned against the door.

"Dad, tell me you didn't agree to have Eli Reed open for your summer tour," she said.

Her father's finger's continued to pick at the strings.

"Alright, I won't tell you that I agreed to have Eli Reed open for my summer tour," he said evenly.

Bellamy pushed herself off the door.

"How could you do this?!" she asked, walking about the small dressing room. "It's Eli Reed!"

"A fact I have already been made aware of."

"He's not even talented. He won a stupid singing contest and suddenly the world thinks that means he's a super star." Bellamy looked to her father. "Have you even heard the album he put out? He didn't even write it."

"No, I never got the chance to listen to his music. I chose him on a whim. No thought put into it whatsoever."

"I mean seriously, dad. Come on, choose someone who will actually last past this year. This guy is a one hit wonder. His greatest feat in life will be this album. At nineteen, he will have passed his prime."

Teddy was silent, looking at Bellamy with a blank look. She let out a loud breath and slumped into an arm chair.

"Have you finished judging my decision and someone you have never met?" he asked.

Bellamy made a face.

"Yes," she mumbled.

"Good. I chose him because he has a young following. He will broaden my audience. Get new blood in."

"But you are one of the biggest alternative rock stars out there. Why should you need a bigger audience or new blood?"

"My decision."

"Fine."

Bellamy let her head fall back, contemplating the ceiling. The small room filled with the sound of a lulling melody.

"Mom says she's going to miss you this summer," Teddy said.

"Mom's fine. She has her hands full with Hunter and Jacob."

"She sent a picture this morning of them in their soccer uniforms."

Bellamy raised her head and looked at her father.