Still Here (Teen Fiction)

The tail ends of summer clung to the air, racing along with the eager faced freshmen and their over protective parents. Professors strolled through the campus, unburdened by the troubles that would weigh down their shoulders as the school year progressed. Campus guides with bright smiles and even brighter voices waved and pointed out notable landmarks on the Hale University grounds.

Charlie sat on a bench, her legs tucked beneath her, and her chin resting in her hands. A half forgotten smile sat on her lips as she watched the activity of the start of school. She breathed in, the smile growing as she smelled the scent of cut grass. Students wandered by their faces creased with the puzzlement of an expansive campus and their lack of maps.

"Excuse me?" a deep voice with the hint of a southern drawl said.

Charlie squeaked, her thoughts skittering away. She looked up to find a guy, no older than 19 staring down at her, with hazel eyes. He gave her a shy, closed lip smile. Charlie continued to stare, her mouth half open, pieces of her light brown hair falling into her face.

"I didn't mean to startle you," the guy said.

Charlie flushed and coughed, her deserting thoughts slowly returning to their original positions.

"It's fine," she said. "I mean I'm fine. Well, it's fine now. When you startled me I wasn't fine but since time has passed from when you startled and now then I've become fine."

Charlie bit down hard on her lip, cringing as she meet the guy's gaze again. Instead of the odd expression she was accustomed to the guy was smiling. A genuine, amused smile. He held out a hand.

"I'm Forest," he said.

Charlie blushed again and took his hand.

"I'm Charlie. Well, that's not my legal name, it's just what people call me. My real name is Charlotte, but as a custom people shortened it too Charlie. It was my sister to be specific. Not sure why they didn't do Loti instead, but there you have it."

Too Charlie's surprise, Forest laughed, the sound warm and inviting, like home after a long trip. Charlie relaxed.

"I like the name Charlotte. It's actually the name of my dog. Not that you remind me of my dog. Because you don't. You're a lot prettier than a dog...."

Charlie laughed and Forest ran a hand through his wavy dirty blonde hair, looking down at the ground.

"I like you, Forest," Charlie said.

He looked up startled and Charlie's blush raced back into her cheeks.

"I mean...as in you seem...like the kind of person...someone could get to know and like and find comforting at times....and..."

Charlie buried her head in her hands.

"This is usually when people take the opportunity to sneak away," she muttered.

There was no sound and Charlie let out a sigh. When she looked up though, Forest was still standing there.

"You're still here?" she said, cocking her head.

Forest gave a nervous laugh and glanced down at the ground before looking back up.

"Uh...I actually came over here in the first place to ask for directions," he said.

"From me?"

Forest nodded.

"You seemed nice enough and like you would know your way around."

"I'm guessing you're rethinking your initial thoughts." Charlie shook her head. "Not that I want you to. I am normal. Kind of. I think I'm nice. Not sure." She held up a confident finger. "I do know my way around, so that thought wasn't wrong."