Ghost (Sci-Fi)

The bar in the outer sector of Opal held a storm of voices. What space of air wasn't filled with the rumble of conversations was crowded with a jazzy tune that contrasted the harshness of the establishment. The din of the place made thinking impossible and what thoughts did appear in minds had to be screamed to be heard.

Still, when the door to the bar opened and a cloaked figure stepped soundlessly inside, those closest to the newcomer stopped talking. Eyes latched onto the silver cloak, mesmerized. The silver held the same sheen as moonlight reflected on the ocean. It was a blend of light and dark, seeming to ripple when there was no breeze to stir it.

In contrast, the one who wore it was nothing special. Though the young man was tall and well built, his face was unremarkable, his skin a warm brown, his short hair the same color. What stood out were his eyes, a silver to match the cloak.

As he strode through the bar, the crowd parted for him, the word 'ghost' breathed into companions' ears as eyes followed his confident movements. The young man stopped at a dim corner in that back. A different cloaked figure slouched in a chair, back against the wall. Unlike the silver cloaked young man, this figure garnered less attention than a shadow.

Wrapped in the folds of an iridescent black cloak, it would have been impossible for anyone to know that the slender form of a girl barely nineteen sat there. But Luscin knew.

"I would ask if I can sit," Luscin said, "but I have a good idea I know what the answer will be."

Still knowing what he knew, he sat down. The girl said nothing. With her ebony skin and her hood pulled over her face, there was no way to see her expression. But Luscin knew that Sy's soft features were stony.

Luscin leaned back in his chair, allowing the noise of the bar to beat away out his ears. When he noticed a pair of inquisitive gazes pinned on him from the next table over, he slowly turned his eyes on them. The pair froze, trapped in curiosity and fear, their minds playing out every rumor and story they ever heard about the silver cloaked legion. Luscin opened his mouth and breathed out, manipulating his breath, crystalizing it so it appeared like a menacing mist.

The pair shrank back, scuttling away, unaware that they left their half-filled drinks behind. It was a basic trick that any third-tier Ghost learned. It was harmless but deceptively unnerving to those who didn't know the truth. Sy would have found this trick amusing if she wasn't so annoyed that Luscin found her.

"Talk to me, Sy," Luscin said.

As he spoke the din of the bar became muffled, the particles in the air expanding to absorb the sound, creating a wall around the two companions. This act was one that only fifth tier Ghosts knew, the precision of creating an exact radius taking years to master.

"How did you find me?" Sy asked.

The outer sector of Opal drew the worst of society since nowhere else was dirty enough to match their lives. The bar held the lowest of the low, the type of criminals Sy would normally avoid. The air reeked of sweat and strong spirits, the type that came cheap and could burn the shine off a new star cursor. It was a place she never would have chosen to be. That was why she had picked it. But she didn't know how Luscin knew that.

"I never lost you," Luscin said. "Only giving you space."

Sy sank deeper into the fold of her cloak, crossing her arms as she regarded Luscin.

"Why come now?"

She asked but in her gut, she knew the answer.

"It's been a month. Your guardship needs you."

Sy didn't reply. They might need her, but she didn't intend to go back. Not after what happened. Luscin watched her with those silver eyes, eyes that matched Sy's, eyes that distinguished all members of the Ghost Legion.