Fantasy Meets Reality (Teen Fiction)

Amber leaves flew through the air, looking like vibrant paper airplanes as they were buoyed by the wind and sent sailing past Remy's head.

Remy shifted her backpack and pushed her glasses up the bridge of her narrow nose as she pulled open the wooden door, leaving the tornado of color behind. The hushing sound of pages being flipped and fingers typing away at keyboards drifted through the bookstore. 

Humming quietly to herself, Remy moved through the store, her fingers dancing over the tops of books. Her boots resounded off the linoleum floor of the break room. Stashing her backpack away in a far corner, she moved to her locker, twisting it open, her reflection flashing at her. 

She brushed down the strands of hair that had become disheveled by the wind and adjusted her glasses. Her hair was undecided between whether it was light brown or dirty blonde and so sat somewhere awkwardly in the middle. The locker door clanged shut, as Remy grabbed her badge from the rack and slipped it over her head. Still humming she moved across the store to the children's section, a slight bounce to her step as she moved.

Remy bent down and started to collect discarded and forgotten books. She was down on her knees reaching under a table when a throat cleared itself.

"Excuse me?"

Remy jerked up and smacked her head hard in the underside of the table, the bang ringing in her ears as she fell to the floor.

"Miss, are you alright?"

Remy's eyes fluttered open, the light sending a halo over the man crouching beside her. His lose brown hair swept across his expressive forehead.  He had lightening blue eyes and a smile that could pierce a heart. He gave just such a smile to Remy and she felt the arrow hit home. He gently cupped her hand, pulling her into a sitting position. Remy felt her mouth go dry as his intent, worried gaze floated over her face.

"I'm alright, thank you for helping me," Remy said, her voice coming out light and airy.

Another smile and a flash of his blue eyes.

"I believe it was my fault that you hit your head in the first place, so I should be the one to apologize. Forgive me, dear lady?" he asked, bowing his head slightly.

Heat rushed into Remy's face and she smiled gently, her eyes fluttering to the floor.

"Of course."

"Miss, excuse me, miss are you okay?"

Remy rubbed the spot on her head, while backing out from under the table. A stout man with beady eyes and a round face was looking at her with mild concern.

"Are you alright? I didn't mean to startle you," the man said, his voice high and reedy.

Nodding, a little dazed, Remy stood, straightening out her cardigan and adjusting her badge that had come off- kilter.

"It's fine," she said, her head throbbing gently.

Her gaze lifted to the man's face and she smiled.

"What can I help you with?"

The man's concern vanished and a lost look darted into his eyes.

"I'm looking for a book for my niece's 5th birthday and I was wondering if you could help me?"

Remy nodded and led the man to row of books, gesturing to some of her favorites. An excited tone came into her voice as she talked about each one and which she would suggest him buying.

By the time the man left Remy, his arms were loaded with five different books, now convinced his niece couldn't live until she had read them. Remy turned back to the books laying about and started retrieving them once more. She hummed as she settled them back into their homes, her eyes glancing over the covers as they slipped between their friends, their stories bubbling up in her mind.