Restless (Teen Fiction)

The loud beep beep beep of a moving truck cut through Shay's concentration. She sat curled up on her bed, reading. By the time her concentration had been restored, it was shattered again by the sound of her bedroom door slamming open. Bridget strode in, her slender frame looking even more so in her tight cheerleading uniform, her blonde curls pulled into a long pony tail.

"We have new neighbors, sister of mine!" Bridget said.

Shay didn't respond as Bridget moved to her window and stared out. She glanced over at her sister. Where Bridget's hair was honey blonde, Shay's was muddy blonde. Bridget's blue eyes seemed to always be alight with excitement, contrasting Shay's own pale blue.

Bridget straightened and turned towards Shay, setting her hands on her narrow hips. The soft, attractive features met that of her younger sister's quiet, open ones.

"Well," she said.

Shay looked back at her book.

"Is there an end to that sentence?" Shay asked, the question lacking any hint of mockery.

"Aren't you going to come say hi with me?"

Shay looked up.

"You want go say hi to the new neighbors?"

"Of course, I noticed three very hot guys and I might as well get to know them now before the rest of the squad tries to snatch them up."

"Okay, have fun."

Shay bent her head over her book. It was snatched away before she had the chance to continue reading.

"You are coming with me," Bridget said, tossing the book aside.

"Any reason?"

"You should be more social and as I am your sister, I'm dragging you along."

Shay made no response.

"Come on, Shay. It will be good for you. You must come!"

Shay didn't move.

"Shay, I'm serious, do this for me. I worry about what will happen to you when I graduate and you are left a sad, lonely little senior."

"Do you really?"

"Yes."

Without a word, Shay swung her legs off the bed and stood. Bridget jumped, clapping her hands.

"Perfect!" she said.

They left the comfort of Shay's blue and yellow room and went down stairs. Their mother stood in the kitchen, her flawless blonde bob swinging as she turned towards them.

"We're off to say hi to the neighbors!" Bridget said.

"Darling, that's so thoughtful," their mother said.

Bridget smiled and moved about the kitchen stealing some of the brownies, meant for the cheerleading bake sale, and put them on a plate.

"Away we go!" Bridget said.

Shay tagged along behind her sister, stuffing her hands onto the pockets of her jean shorts. She knew her faded red t-shirt clashed with Bridget's neat uniform, but found she didn't care. They stepped out of the house, a salty breeze brushing past them. The concrete was warm beneath Shay's bare feet, the intense heat having already left with the afternoon sun. Bridget skipped across the road, her pony tail swishing behind her.

A large moving van was parked by the curb, its back open, revealing arm chairs, dressers, bed frames, mattresses and more. Half the contents seemed to have been deposited on the lawn. Burly workmen flowed in and out of the house. Bridget bounced on the balls of her feet in the sloped driveway, looking around. From around the house a tall, muscular guy in his late teens appeared. Bridget's smile widened and the guy returned the gesture, the smile accenting his dimples.