This Is Reality (Teen Fiction)

Ally bent over the counter, the sound of her pencil scratching out equations filling her ears. Her open textbook lay beside the cash register. A few customers dotted the sandwich shop, their phones and food holding all of their attention. From the back came the soft shushing of a broom against tile. The low murmurings of the TV added to the quietness.

A bell ringed as the door was opened. Ally missed the sound, her thoughts crowding out the rest of the world. A figure blocked her light and coughed. Ally scribbled out her last problem before raising her head. A guy, about twenty, with a narrow face, straight nose, deep green eyes and a defined jaw stood before her. He gave her a smile and waved.

"Hi," he said, his voice low and friendly.

Ally quickly stuffed her papers into her book and shut it. She tucked the book behind the counter before straightening, brushing back a loose strand of dark brown hair. Her dark blue eyes stood out against a faintly tan, heart shaped face, free of any trace of makeup.

"Hi, Lucas," she said. "Do you want the usual?"

Lucas shifted the gesture seeming to hold a hesitancy that contradicted his good looks.

"Ummm...yes."

Ally raised an eyebrow, pulling on a set of plastic gloves.

"You don't sound so sure of that," she said.

"Well, I was wondering," he started.

Ally waited, her gaze never leaving him and seeming to halt his words. After a moment of expectant silence, a small smile curled the edge of her mouth. The simple gesture turned her normal indifferent expression into something playful. Lucas gained his strength and plunged onward.

"I was actually wondering if you want to eat lunch with me?" he said.

He gulped and jammed his hands into the pockets of his jeans. Ally blinked, surprise darting across her face.

"You really want to have lunch with me?" she asked.

Lucas nodded and scratched the back of his neck, giving her a guilty look.

"It's actually the only reason I've come in the past few weeks," he said. "I look for you after class but you disappear or you talk to the professors. So I thought I would have better luck here."

Ally chuckled, the sound hesitant, as if she were afraid to make a noise.

"I can understand that," she said. "The sandwiches aren't that good that they deserve such a loyal customer."

Lucas smiled, dropping his hand.

"Is that a yes?" he asked.

Ally paused, but then nodded.

"Give me a second to make the sandwiches," she said.

Lucas relaxed, as he let out a relieved breath.

"Okay, I'll just be over here," he said, pointing towards a table.

Ally nodded and went to work. A few minutes later she joined him, setting the sandwiches down. She took a seat across from him, briefly glancing at the TV screen that was mounted on the wall.

"How long have you worked here?" Lucas asked.

"Beginning of the semester," Ally said.

She picked at the edge of her sandwich but found she had no appetite with Lucas watching her.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"Yeah, it can get crowded, but the pay is good enough."

Lucas rested his arms on the table, looking intently at her. Ally fidgeted her gaze drifting to the TV. She froze as the image of a girl in her late teens appeared. The girl's blonde hair was perfectly styled and her makeup was thick and dramatic, making her blue eyes pop. The script along the bottom of the screen talked of a search for Sapphire Montenegro. Lucas followed her gaze.

"You a fan of the show, Montenegro Moments?" Lucas asked.

Ally shook her head.

"No, I don't watch tv," she said.

Lucas looked at her, surprised.

"Really?"

Ally nodded and pulled her gaze away from the screen. She pointed back to it.

"Do you know what's going on?" she asked.

Lucas glanced back at the TV then at Ally.

"Yeah, that story has been everywhere," he said, with a bored tone. "Sapphire left the show a few years back, apparently cut off all ties with the family."

Ally's lips twitched into a smile. Lucas raised his hands.

"I have a mother and three sisters who watch it, that's how I know this."

"Okay, I believe you," she said. "Continue."

"Anyways, appears one of Sapphire's sister, Sophia, Sabina or something needs blood or a kidney or something along those lines. That's why there's this big search for Sapphire going on. She's the only match. It been all over the media for weeks. It has its own hashtag and everything."

Ally looked at him intently.

"Really? How serious is it?" she asked.

Lucas shrugged.

"Pretty serious from what I've heard my sisters say."

"But their reality stars, none of that stuff is real."

Lucas raised his hands.

"I hardly know anything, my sisters are the ones you should be talking to," he said.

Ally nodded and glanced back at the screen. Images of Sapphire in tight, short dresses attending lavish parties flashed by. The door opened and a group of students stepped inside, their voices ringing out in the quiet shop. Ally pointed to them.

"Sorry," she said, standing. "I should get back to work. How about a rain check on lunch?"

Lucas stood.

"Yeah, okay. Can I have your number?" he asked.

Ally pulled out a pen from her pocket and scribbled on a napkin.

"This way you don't have to suffer though a bad sandwich to talk to me," she said.

Lucas laughed.

"It was worth it, every time," he said, pocketing the napkin.

Ally gave him a pleased smile and ducked behind the counter. The group of students moved up forward, their gazes trained on the menu on the wall. As the bell dinged, Ally glanced over. Lucas met her gaze and waved. For a long moment, Ally watched him as he headed down the sidewalk and back to campus. Her customers, now confident in their decisions, placed their orders.

After filling out the large order, Ally pulled the plastic gloves off her hands and searched for her phone. She found it tucked into her backpack and pulled it out. The small device looked years old. Ally flipped it open and dialed a number.

She paused, her thumb hovering above the call button.

Taking in a deep breath, she pressed down.

She put the phone to her ear and listened as one ring proceeded the next, After what felt like eternity a sharp voice answered with a brusk hello.

Ally swallowed and gripped the ancient phone.

"Hi, mom," she said. "It's Sapphire."

*************

Heyo!

Tell me! What did you think? Would you keep reading? Where do you think the story will go?

The general plot would be about Ally dealing with her overdramatic family and the life as a reality star that she left. It would involve lots of tears, screaming matches and everything you could image to get from a family who lives their life in front of cameras.

Vote, comment, follow!