Chapter 17

Percy's POV

FLASHBACK

I woke up at the sound of Gabe yelling at me to make breakfast.

I sighed and sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Coming!" I yelled.

I got out of bed and went out to the kitchen, yawning.

I didn't really expect the liquor bottle.

I stumbled back, blood and lukewarm liquor running down my head. He smashed the bottle onto the table, his eyes bloodshot.

"Do I have to call your name a million times before you come out?" He yelled.

"No." I muttered, walking to fridge. I grabbed two eggs and my heart seemed to relax just a little when he sat down, grumbling.

The pain started getting to me when the sleep started washing off. Where was mom?

I bit my lip, hoping the tears wouldn't run. I licked off some of the liquor of my face- I remembered it helped with the pain. I put the eggs on a plate, a little to hastily since I was feeling the need to go to the bathroom. I put the plate in front of him and he smacked me across the room.

"What? What did I do wrong?" I sobbed, trying not to cry.

"Where's THE FORK!"

Sniffing, I stood up and grabbed the fork and gave it to him. Somewhat satisfied, he started eating his breakfast. I hurried to the bathroom, grabbing the phone while doing so.

I used the bathroom, then called mom.

"Percy?"

"Where are you?"

"Oh god- did Gabe hit you again? I'll be there in a minute-"

"No, he didn't." My voice cracked. "I'm okay."

"... I'll be there soon."

She hung up. I stared at myself in the mirror. A bit of glass glistened in the side of my head, crimson red blood crawling out of my short hair.

What was I doing.

I washed off the blood and tears(sweat) along with the snot. I fished out the glass pieces and opened the first aid kit. I didn't know how to feel since I felt nothing.

Why did this happen everyday.

I heard the door open, and I hurried out hoping to see mom.

I hid behind the wall, watching Gabe slam the door, grumbling about stupid kids.

I hoped mom was coming soon.

Mom came home when I was about done bandaging my head.

She hugged me tight, not saying a word. I hugged her back, cause she smelled nice- not like beer.

"I'm so sorry Percy."

"Don't cry." I said, wiping my own tears. "Don't cry."

And the peace lasted until Gabe came back in.

He was drunk- probably more drunk than he should of been.

"He's only 11, don't hurt him!"

Gabe didn't even respond to my mother when he slammed her into the wall. She crumpled to the floor like a rag doll.

And I knew I was no match for Gabe.

He might be stupid, fat, and a drunk, but I was a skinny 11 year old kid wearing a tie dye T-shirt.