Prologue

PROLOGUE:

Footsteps, moving fast through the underbrush.

She could hear them clearly, and her already frantic heartbeat picked up speed. She could smell them now, closing in on her, the stench of death chasing her as their hot breath steamed in the cool air.

They would catch her soon, and when they did...well, she didn't want to think about that. What could she do though? Hiding was not an option, they would smell the blood from her wounds a mile away. There was no way she could fight them off on her best day, let alone when she was tired and wounded.

What was it that people said about wounded animals? That they were the most dangerous? Well, if she came across a harmless rabbit she could do some damage, but against her attackers? She was dead meat.

Suddenly, her nose picked up the scent of rubber and asphalt. A road! If she could just make it out of the trees, she might have a chance.

Putting on a small burst of speed, she raced through the underbrush, panting heavily as her wounded shoulder protested loudly.

"Kill! Kill, kill, kill!" The shouts of the leader were echoed by roars from her pursuers. They were closing in.

She howled in pain as one of the front runners swiped at her already wounded shoulder, causing a fresh wave of blood to flow.

She stumbled and almost fell, catching herself at the last minute and continuing her frantic dash towards the road. She was growing steadily weaker from lack of blood and fatigue, but adrenaline and fear kept her going.

Almost there. Almost there. She chanted in her head, managing to pull slightly ahead of her attackers, she broke through the tree line, and stumbled a few feet towards the road.

She was expecting her attackers to follow her out, but they didn't. Was it the rain? No, they might not like it, but they wouldn't disobey direct orders just to keep dry.

So why did they stop?

All this ran through her mind as she continued to stagger into the road, hoping to reach the other side and find a place to rest and hide.

As her feet touched the asphalt, her senses picked up on something.

Gasoline. Rubber. Metal. Engine.

Her wearied brain suddenly realized what it was, and she turned her head just in time to be blinded by a pair of headlights.

So that's why they didn't follow her.