keep your friends close but your enemies closer

Tori kept polishing her knife while I just stared at her, wondering what she was going to do with it.

"Well, to be more accurate, I'm your hunter."

"Are you here to kill me?"

"A werewolf was killed at five twenty-four ten miles from your house yesterday. Gunshot to the head."

"Who was it?"

"Doesn't matter. My superiors thought it would be smart to assign every hunter a werewolf to guard." It sounded like she was forced to do this.

"But aren't hunters usually-"

"Hostile towards werewolves? Yes."

"I was about to say older. You look like you're in middle school." She was tiny, probably no more than five feet.

"I'm fourteen." She said in an irritated tone.

"They sent a freshman to guard me? Seriously?" I laughed out loud. Did they run out of hunters? Was this the best they had?

Tori wasn't amused.

"Back to what's important, a truce had been declared between the hunters and werewolves several years ago."

"Really?"

"My mom told me that werewolves aren't the enemy. But I'm still having trouble seeing that." She paced around my room, stopping by the mirror at my vanity.

"Okay," So was she going to kill me or protect me? What was the deal?

"I'm not here to kill you, if that's what you're wondering." She glanced at me from the corner of her eye. She was kind of annoying me. Why should she be forced to do something neither of us wanted?

"Sorry but I don't need a babysitter. Besides, I doubt you even know how to use that knife."

With a swift flick of her hand, Tori threw the knife straight at my head.

I ducked a split second before it punctured the wall behind me.

"Wha-What the hell was that for?" I stammered, staring at the knife that almost killed me. My heart thumped like crazy against my ribcage, the rush of almost dying hitting me quickly.

She didn't apologize, just walked over to me and yanked the blade from the wall. Wow, way to ruin the paint.

"I'll see you around." Before I could stop her, she opened the window and jumped down two stories.

"You know, you could've used the front door!" But by then, she'd already blended in with the night.

It took two hours to calm my heart down and finally go to sleep.

.•*•.

"Don't forget, you're getting your wisdom teeth taken out after school today!" Mom reminded me quickly as I grabbed a cup of juice and chugged it down.

"Who's driving you there?" Dad asked, since neither of them could drive me to the dentists and back, work and all.

"Taylor." I'd already asked her a week ago and she'd said she would. Hopefully, she didn't forget.