Chapter Thirteen: Shopping

A loud beeping woke me up. I sat up and it took me a minute to realize where I was. Rubbing my eyes, I looked over the top of the motel couch to find the source of the beeping. Dean was fumbling with the alarm clock on the nightstand by his bed. Squinting, I saw that it was 7 am. I yawned and stretched, standing up from the couch.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to wake you up. This damn thing goes off at 7 every morning, even on weekends,” said Dean after he finally got it to stop making noises.

“No worries,” I said. “I needed to get up and moving about now anyway. Becka gets up at about 9 on Saturdays, so I should be able to get going and make it seem like I came home last night.”

“Who willingly gets up at 9 on a Saturday?” Dean grumbled. His voice was still laced with sleep.

I laughed and shrugged. “Crazy people, I guess. I’m going to get dressed and then head out.”

Dean opened his mouth, as if to say something, but instead closed it and nodded. He laid back down and pulled the blankets up to his chin. I went into the bathroom and changed quickly into what I wore yesterday. When I came back out, I tried to say goodbye to Dean, but he was already back asleep. I opened the door leading to the parking lot as quietly as possible, which wasn’t an easy task since the hinges were old and creaky.

The car gently came to life when I turned the key in the ignition. Pulling out of the parking lot, I turned on the radio and sang along to pass the time. I parked the car in the driveway and entered the house with light feet. No lights were on. I was in the clear. Or, at least I thought I was for a few moments.

The table lamp next to the couch clicked on. I froze like a deer in headlights. “Kimberley Rose Blackwood, where were you last night?” Becka asked, turning to look at me from her seat.

“I was at a friend’s house,” I said vaguely.

“Which friend’s house were you at?”

“Dean’s…” I trailed off.

“And what were you doing?”

“We watched a movie and then it got too late for me to drive so he let me crash on the couch.”

“Really? That’s it? Wow, bummer. I was hoping for a juicy story. Or for something cool to have happened. You know, like ‘I was out with Alyssa and a piano fell from a roof and almost killed us.’ Like, that would be interesting to hear about!”

“What?”

“So you just stayed over? Nothing happened between you two? Nothing?

“Yeah….”

“Seriously? God, I need to talk some sense into that boy.”

“You’re nuts.”

She just ignored me. “I mean, look at you. You may not be as great looking as yours truly, but still!”

“So you aren’t mad?” I interrupt before she can go on.

“No, I’m not mad. You’re old enough to make your own decisions in life and you made good ones last night. I have no reason to be mad.”

“Okay then, thank god.” I said, making my way to the kitchen for some food. After I ate, I made my way upstairs to my room and watched television for a quite a few hours. At 11, I got a text from Alyssa.

Hey! Do you want to go shopping with me today? I need some new clothes and YOU need a makeover! –A’

I was about to reply with a ‘no thank you’, but then I got an idea.