Chapter Fifteen: A Kiss Worth 1,000 Words

The morning bell echoed loudly in my ears as I penciled in the answer to a math problem. I looked over at the empty seat next to me. ‘Maybe he’s not coming today?’ I thought. Shrugging, I decided to just go back to my math sheet. Mere moments before the final bell rung, Dean slumped down into his chair.

I put down my pencil and turned in my seat to look at him. He didn’t seem like his normal happy-go-lucky self. There wasn’t even anything about him that seemed put off. I could just feel it, like something was weighing down on my chest.

“Hey, Dean. You alright?” I asked. He looked over at me briefly and then leaned back in his chair with his hands behind his head.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” His voice had an edge that seemed to slice through my worry.

“Just asking,” I grumbled, going back to my work. He obviously wasn’t in the mood for talking this morning. Class seemed to go by really slowly since I didn’t have anyone to talk to the entire time. In the middle of the ever so boring math lesson, Alyssa texted me. I pulled out my phone as discreetly as I could and checked it.

You okay? Dean and you usually talk all through class. Today I’ve hardly seen you two say a thing to one another! –A’

I don’t know his deal. I tried talking to him a few times, but he just shut down. But whatever. Thanks for worrying though. J  –K’

‘No problem. Anything for you, my friend. –A’

I tucked my phone away and waited what felt like forever for the bell to finally ring. When it did, I hurried out of the classroom to science. However, my hurrying out of the classroom wasn’t just due to me wanting to get to class early. As I gathered up my things, I noticed Dean starting to get friendly with one of the more popular girls in my class. It made me feel… hurt, I guess. It sounds so stupid, but it felt like a punch to my heart.

Science passed by slowly as usual, but before I knew it we were dismissed for lunch. I grabbed my wallet from my bag and made my way into the hallway. I wasn’t in much of a hurry since the school wasn’t serving my usual French fries today. They’re on some new health kick type of thing, so today it’s only salad. As the crowd of people died down, I spotted Dean walking alone. After debating in my head whether or not I should try talking to him again, I jogged up and fell into step beside him.

“You going to bite my head off if I talk with you again?” I asked, jokingly but cautiously.

“I don’t know, maybe,” he replied with a shrug.

I sighed. “What happened to you? Last night you were acted completely normal, now you’re being an ass.”

When I finished, he turned and put both his hands on the wall, trapping me in the middle. He looked at me sternly and leaned in closer to my face.

“Maybe this is me being normal. Have you ever thought of that?” his voice had, yet again, a menacing edge. I recoiled slightly.

“No, because that’s the only way you’ve acted around me. That’s what I always assumed normal Dean was like.”

“Well it’s not. That façade wasn’t anything special. But it’s gone now, so stop thinking I’ll act that way again,” he said.

“Why was there even one in the first place? What’s the point of that?” I asked, raising my voice in retaliation to his sharp and cold one.  

“To get with you, obviously. You’re nothing more than a challenge to me. You resisted me at first, so I knew you’d be a hard prize to win. I needed the entertainment, so I acted like the good guy in order to get what I wanted.”

I didn’t have anything to say back. Of course that’s why he chose to hang out with me. It made sense. He could have any girl he wanted in the entire school, but he wanted a challenge. So he went with me. I felt sick to my stomach. I fell for his stupid trick personality and his stupid looks and his stupid kindness. I gave him my trust, let him tear down my guarding walls, and that is what I get. It always ends up like this, doesn’t it?

“But, Dean-“

“I wish I could say I was sorry.” Ouch.

Next thing I knew, he kissed me.

Dean’s Point Of View

It’s was the only way to keep her safe. I had to distance myself from her so she wouldn’t be a target. The only way I’m going to be able to make Kim not want to be around me is to be an asshole. Well, more of one than usual. Everything I had just said to her, at least parts of it, was true, so I didn’t have to make up a huge lie.

I was putting on a façade to get her to like me. I did think she would be something I won, at first. But after I got to know her, she became someone I don’t want to hurt. Either way, I’m still hurting her. But I realized that she is so much more to me than some stupid entertainment. So I have to protect her from what could happen if she chooses to still be near me.

I couldn’t just leave her there with what I said. I needed her to know it wasn’t true anymore. I needed her to know that I really am sorry I can’t be someone she deserves; that I’m sorry to have to drop a bomb on her like this. But I can’t say that out loud, for her sake. So, my brain decided that the most logical way to convey this without words was to kiss her.

It was spur of the moment, and I could tell it caught her off guard. I don’t know how in the world I was supposed to give her a message via kiss, but when our lips separated and I looked into her eyes, I could tell she wasn’t just going to drop me. ‘Thank god you’re so stubborn, Kim,’ I thought. ‘I love that about you, y’know.’

I removed my hands from either side of her and put them into my pockets instead. “Later, Kimberley.”

‘Just hang in there, Kim. Please, you have to. Just for a little while, I promise.’

Kim’s Point of View

Dean just left, without another word except a goodbye. I sunk down to the floor and ran a hand through my hair, sighing. He expected me to just stop there, right? To quit trying to make things work out? Well he is in for a rude awakening because that is definitely not happening. Even though that’s what his words told me, his kiss said another thing entirely. It was like he was telling me to hold on to… whatever it is we have going on here. ‘Alright then, Winchester. That’s what I’ll do.’

I got up off the floor and finally made it to the lunch room. Everyone was almost done eating. I guess we took more time in the hallway than I thought. I bought a Coke and sat down at the empty table in the corner. My eyes closed and I rested my head against the cool wall as I popped open the can. I heard someone sit down across from me, so I opened one eye to see who it was.

“Alyssa? Why are you over here?”

“Um, because my best friend is sitting at a table alone, she looks upset, and her boy buddy is at an entirely different table with a bunch of girls, duh.” She picked up some of her salad with her fork and ate it.

“Oh. Look, I’m fine. You can go back to your friends.” I gave her a light smile.

“Why would I need or want to go back over there with those losers? I’m already over here at the best table with my best friend,” she said, putting her hand over mine. “Now, tell me what’s wrong so I can figure out who I have to beat up for you.”

______________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Surprise update! This chapter is a little short, but some important stuff went down. Dean became the jerky guy he really always was, although he's turning the jerk up in this chapter for extra effect. Alyssa is proving herself to be a loyal friend, spite what we thought at the beginning. And, Kim is starting to come to terms with how she feels about Dean, saying she'l hold on a little bit longer, for him. What do you think? Let me know! And don't be afraid to leave some criticism. Some of the helpful criticism I got on my last update really helped, I think, with this one :D! Anyway, enjoy!

Until next time!~