Chapter Twenty-Two: Hello, Kimberley

“What do you mean by distant?” Alyssa’s voice rang through the speaker in my phone.

                “I dunno. It just seems like he doesn’t have a lot of free time anymore. I mean, it’s not a big deal. He can do whatever he wants. But it just feels like something’s up,” I answered, opening a can of soda and making my way to the couch.

                I was referring to Dean, of course. It’d been almost a week since we had an actual conversation. Now all our talks consist of a few words before a hurried exit. I don’t want to sound clingy, because like I told Alyssa, Dean can do whatever he wants. However, I’ve got a weird feeling about the whole thing.

                “You know what you need? A girl’s night! It’s decided. Pack some clothes and get over here. I’ll invite Hazel too,” Alyssa announced.

                “You don’t have to do anything, really.”

                “Nope, no getting out of this, my dear. Get your ass over here pronto.”

                I sighed and said goodbye, stashing my phone in my pocket. Setting down my soda, I walked upstairs and began packing a duffle bag to take to Alyssa’s house. As I was stuffing a pair of shorts into the bag, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Becka, and since I didn’t feel like it was overly important to answer at the moment, I just clicked off my phone and shoved it into my bag.

                Despite us going to the same school, Alyssa lives almost half an hour away. And to top that, she lives out in the middle of nowhere. Even though I’ve known her for years, I still have trouble finding her house. But once you get close, there’s no way to miss it.

                I weaved the car through the maze of bushes and hedges that surround Alyssa’s long, curving driveway. At the end of it lies her extremely large house. Actually, it could probably be classified as a mansion. Either way, her house was giant, to say the least. White stone pillars lined the front of the building and held up a balcony on the second floor. Alyssa greeted me at the porch, running out from the double doors leading inside.

                “Took you long enough!” She squealed, ushering me through the doorway.

                Inside, the house was even more impressive. Dark wood paneled walls. Lush wine colored carpet covered the floors. The ceiling stretched up far above my head. On the far wall, the fireplace roared with lively, orange flames that kept the house nice and cozy. The wall closest to the door had a floor to ceiling bookshelf that held a countless amount of old, leather- and velvet-bound books. Someday, I wanted to spend Spring break with Alyssa and just try to read as many of those books as possible. I don’t know why, but old books just gave me a comforting feeling. Hazel got up from the floor where she had been sitting and gave me a hug.

                “Hey, glad you got here!”

                Seeing us all together again made the realization that I’m so different from them hit me like a bus. Each of them had their long, light colored hair tied into elegant braids. Mine, on the other hand, was thrown up messily into a bun. They wore pajama sets, the kind that matched and had some cute design on them. I had on a Fall Out Boy sweater and a pair of Slytherin sweatpants. However, despite the little differences between each other, we all seemed to get along well. I mean, of course Alyssa and Hazel get along great, but when I come into the equation, most people would say that balance of friendship would be thrown off. I’m just glad it isn’t, though something has been picking at my mind for quite a while.