Chapter Twenty-Four: Kill Or Be Killed

HERE IT IS, THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!

So sorry it took so long for me to get here! But here it is, Chapter 24, Kill Or Be Killed. Or, as I like to call it, The End.

Whatever the reason was that I was able to see my mom and dad’s memories, it didn’t matter. All that counted was that I was about to figure out how to save Becka, Dean, and Sam. The specifics could be worried about at a later time. The only thing I could focus on and think about at that point was my mission, if it is to be called that.

The dark green trunk was like a weapon arsenal. I tried to remember the knives and guns I had seen my parents pull out. After gathering a mental image of the weaponry I wanted, I sifted through everything to find the correct items. There were two knives with runes carved into them. Upon inspection, the runes were the same on both of them and looked similar to the knives Victoria and Blake used.

I grabbed out a belt from the trunk and tucked the knives inside. Then, I found a few guns loaded with rock salt and bullets with, as my dad had described in his journal, devil’s traps carved into them to immobilize demons. If I shot one below the chin, the demon would be trapped inside it’s vessel until the bullet was removed. If anything, they would at least buy me some time.

Finally, I pulled on gear that my mom would have worn; a vest and pair of jeans made of a thick, leather-like material, plus a pair of steel toed combat boots. Once I was geared up, I ran outside, grabbing the car keys from the entrance table.

The address that Ryan –or more accurately, the demon possessing Ryan –had given me was quite a ways away. By the time I had pulled out of the driveway, it was past midnight; seemed like that memory-dream took a long time to play out. The long drive gave me a lot of time to go over everything I could do in my head. I also had time to think of every possible scenario that could go down and how I could still come out on top. I could feel my hands shaking, so I gripped the steering wheel even tighter, my knuckles turning white.

The trip took hours. I only stopped when I needed gas, or to use the bathroom. One of the scenarios I had thought of included me having to pee really badly once I got to the hideout and losing because of my bladder. Call me paranoid, but I wanted to do all that I could to ensure that my friend’s and I survived.

By the time that I finally got to my destination, the sun was rising up in the sky. It cast a dusty rose color over the area. In any other circumstance, I probably would have stopped to enjoy the view. However, at that moment, the clock had been ticking and I didn’t have time for sun rises.

The building I was parked outside of was nothing like the cabin my parents had gone to. This was what looked to be an apartment complex. Like the cabin, it had been abandoned. But it wasn’t in disrepair. In fact, it looked quite nice. The sunlight glinted and bounced off of the glass exterior of the building. I squinted as I mounted the stairs. I couldn’t see anything inside, especially with the light outside, so I tried to be as careful as possible. It wasn’t too hard, except for the fact that my footsteps echoed faintly with each step. Once I got to the doors, I found them locked. There was a buzzer next to them. I laughed to myself. It seemed as though the demons would have to buzz me in. Guess they thought I wasn’t much of a threat.

I stepped forward and reached out, pressing the bright red button with a shaky hand. Mere seconds after, the door swung open. There was no one on the other side that I could see. ‘That’s not strange at all,’ I thought. Cautiously, with a hand on my weapons belt, I entered the building.

Once I was through the doorway, the door slammed shut behind me. I flinched involuntarily before taking a quick, deep breath. I had to make it through all of this stuff unscathed. I had to save my loved ones. I wasn’t about to scare myself out of this; I can’t lose this fight. I’ll either come out on top, or die trying.