03

CHAPTER THREE
in which flick finds the truth

┈┈┈┈․° ☣︎ °․┈┈┈┈

Flick slept restlessly. She woke up every twenty minutes, worrying about the flares and the Ark. Flick finally fell asleep once again, when she was woken up by a mop of curly brown hair.

"Shit. Bellamy?" she groaned, rubbing her eyes gently. Bellamy gently pulled her up so she was sitting upright on her makeshift bed.

"You're up?" he asked.

Flick nodded and pushed her tangled, brown waves out of her face. "I couldn't sleep. Knowing that hundreds of people might be dying on the Ark makes it pretty hard to sleep," she snapped, standing up and pulling her jeans back on, not caring if Bellamy was there or not.

"Flick, your flares will work," Bellamy says, standing from his spot on the edge of her bed.

She changed into a new shirt and wrapped her jacket around her waist before turning to face him. "Well, my radio would've worked better."

"I'm sorry," Bellamy said quietly. "It was a mistake."

Flick nodded and pulled her hair into a low ponytail.

"Have you seen Octavia?" Bellamy asked, finally remembering why he woke her up to begin with.

Flick crossed her arms and shrugged. "Your little sister? I'm sure she's around here somewhere."

"Flick, I've checked the camp. She's not here."

Flick finally agreed to help, but only because she knew that Charlotte would've helped find anyone missing if she were there. Flick searched every tent twice before meeting up with Bellamy again. She shook her head and he sighed.

"Hey, everybody. Gather around and grab a weapon. My sister's been out there alone for twelve hours. Arm up. We're not coming back without her."

Flick walked into Finn's tent, and rolled her eyes. "Let's go! Get up!" She threw a shirt at him and walked out to the shouts of the crowd.

"It's so beautiful!" They thought it was a meteor shower.

Chills ran down Flick's spine. "They didn't see the flares." Her eyes met Bellamy's. "This is all because of you!" She shouted.

"I helped you find your radio!" Bellamy tried to defend himself.

"Yeah, after you jacked it from my pod and trashed it!" Flick stepped closer to him, but Finn wrapped an arm around her waist and held her back.

Clarke put a hand on Flick's shoulder. "Now he has to live with it."

Bellamy gave another speech to the crowd before the search party left through the gate. He looked back at Flick, as if he wanted to say something, but he turned around and walked away.

"We have to talk to them. Three hundred won't be enough. The oxygen level will just keep dropping, and if we don't tell them that they can survive down here, they'll kill more people. They have to," Clarke said to Finn and Flick.

Finn nodded and turned to Flick. "I have to go with the search party. Felicity, you need to stay and fix this radio, okay?" Flick glares at him for the use of her full name.

"Fix it? The transmitters smashed. Unless there's a parts depot down here, we're not talking to the Ark," Flick said, crossing her arms.

Clarke's eyes widened in realization. "Art supply store." She looked at Finn before turning to Flick. "I know a place you might be able to get a transmitter."

"Great, it looks like you're coming with me instead."

Clarke and Flick walked down a path opposite the one the search party took. Flick observed the nature once again, it was something she would never get used to. The beauty and simplicity of Earth.

Clarke lifted a hatch from the ground and let Flick down the ladder first. "Shit Clarke, how did you find this place?" Flick asked, searching the shelves with Clarke.

"I didn't, Finn found it. Hey, would this work?" Clarke held out a toy car.

Flick grinned and inspected it. "Sweet. RF, radio frequency. If we can just find the controller, we'll be golden." Flick spotted the controller and her smile widened. "Perfect."

Flick spotted something else on the shelf and quickly pocketed it. "We're good."

The two girls climbed out of the depot and made their way back to camp. The second they enter the gates, Flick walked straight to the drop ship to get to work.

Clarke eventually made her way inside and over to Flick. "Are you okay? You hardly said a word the whole way back from the bunker."

Flick dropped the piece to the table and slammed Charlotte's necklace down on the table. Flick made it for Charlotte's 9th birthday, she never took it off since, and yet it was sitting out on the shelf in the depot. How bizarre.

"Tell me you weren't too busy screwing Finn to be watching Charlotte while I risked my ass to come down here!" Flick snapped.

Clarke looked to be in tears. "I can't tell you that." Her voice was barely above a whisper. "Do you think I wanted this? We didn't even know you existed. Look, as far as Charlotte knew, you were dead, Flick. Or you would have been soon enough. There was nothing we could do to stop it."

"You could've watched her instead of shagging Finn!" Flick growled out. Clarke walked away, and Flick sighed as she clasped Charlotte's necklace around her neck.

Flick continued to work on the toy car and the radio, when she heard someone yell for Clarke. She stood and gasped when the search party carried in Finn, a knife sticking out of his chest. "Holy shit! Clarke can you save him?"

"No. I need my mother," Clarke said, looking panicked at Finn's injury.

Flick shook her head. "There's still no radio."

"Fix it! Go!"

Flick scrambled back to the radio, connecting the right wires to their counterparts. One of the wires shocked her and she gasped. "Fucking shit. Dammit."

She looked over to see Bellamy leading a group of boys out of the drop ship. "He's gonna get us killed."

┈┈┈┈․° ☣︎ °․┈┈┈┈

published date: 3-23-2021

edited date: 11-22-2021