06

CHAPTER SIX
in which they drink

┈┈┈┈․° ☣︎ °․┈┈┈┈

Flick huffed in annoyance, wiping the sweat from her forehead with the end of her t shirt. She connected two wires and suddenly, Jaha's face appeared on the multiple screens set up around camp. It took her hours to disconnect them from the drop ship and set them up around camp. Securing the two wire with a piece of electrical tape, Flick took a step back to assess her handiwork.

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground," Jaha smiled from the screen.

"Right. After we did all the work. Someone shut him up," Miller snapped.

"You shut up, Miller. No one's forcing you to watch," Flick rolled her eyes and punched him on the arm.

"For ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to Earth," Jaha continued.

Flick looked away from the screens to Clarke and Finn. Hm, they would look cute together.

"Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again! Hey! Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty? Monty! There you go," Jasper yelled holding up large containers of alcohol.

"Hey. Save me some," Monty reminded his friend.

"Happy Unity Day. Pass it around," Jasper cheered while pacing cups around.

"To our sons and daughters on Earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. The first Exodus ship will launch in under sixty hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. Help is on the way," Jaha finished, completely unaware of what was happening on their side of the screens.

In the middle of their drinking and partying, the comms died, but no one noticed. Flick took a cup of the Unity Juice and walked into a tent to work on bullets for the guns. She had to put them in the clips. After a few minutes alone, Jasper joined her in making my bullets.

"Unity Day. Making bullets on Unity Day," Jasper said.

"The Grounders don't know it's Unity Day," Flick reminded him, smirking.

"How did Bellamy get you to help?" Jasper asked, smirking slightly with an eyebrow raised.

"I volunteered. We have to be ready to fight, right?" Flick looked up for a second.

"Or we could try talking to them," Jasper suggested.

"They seem to prefer stabbing," Flick said bluntly.

"Violence is the only thing those people understand," Jasper sighed softly and set a finished bullet in the pile.

"You know, they could say the same thing about us. If we keep going on this way, we'll never stop digging graves," She frowned and continued to making bullets. "I used to be the life of the party," Flick said after a while. She sighed and looked out at the party going on outside. "And look where I am now. Putting bullets into clips."

Jasper and her continued putting the bullets in the clips. Eventually Jasper left for a minute, but he came back with a drink in his hand.

"Hey, hey! There you are! All right. Listen. We're playing drunkball. I bet Monroe my team's gonna win the Unity Day title. That's for you. I know you Zero-G mechs have crazy hand-eye skills, so, huh? What do you think? Must be better than whatever you're doing," Jasper said with a big grin on his face.