10

CHAPTER TEN
in which the battle begins

┈┈┈┈․° ☣︎ °․┈┈┈┈

Flick watched through dazed eyes as Clarke heated a blade in the fire. It's going to hurt. It's going to hurt. It's going–

Clarke pressed the blade to her back, wincing at the blood-curdling scream Flick let out. Bellamy held her hand tightly and kept his arm locked around her, holding her in place.

"That should stop the external bleeding," Clarke said and set the knife in a bowl of water. The hot blade hissed when it met the surface of the water.

"We got lucky. If Murphy hit the fuel tanks instead of me, we'd all be dead," Flick groaned in pain when Bellamy slowly leaned her against the wall.

Flick's attention went in and out of their conversation, focused on the quiet ringing still passing through her ears.

"Can she walk or not?" Bellamy interrupted.

"No. We have to carry her," Clarke said.

"The hell you will. I'm good to go," Flick started to sit up, but Clarke quickly pushed her back down.

"Flick, listen to me. That bullet is still inside you. If by some miracle, there's no internal bleeding, it might hold until we get somewhere safe. But you are not walking there. Is that clear?" Clarke snapped rather harshly. Flick sighed and nodded.

"I'll get the stretcher," Finn spoke up for the first time since Flick was brought in, and turned to leave.

Finn and Bellamy started to fight, but Flick tuned them out. It's not worth my time.

"Alright that's enough. It's time to go," Clarke said.

Finn and another delinquent got her on the stretcher. Bellamy began to protest, but she grabbed his wrist. His hard gaze softened when he looked down at her.

Bellamy kneeled down beside her stretcher and brushed a strand of hair out of her face. "What do you want me to say, Flick?" Bellamy asked.

"I want you to say you're with us. Those kids out there, they listen to you," she said softly.

"They're lining up to go. They listen to Clarke more," Bellamy said.

"She gave them a choice. But 5 minutes ago, they were willing to die for you. You inspire them. I'm afraid we're gonna need that again before this day is through," Flick whispered.

Bellamy nodded and pressed a longing kiss to her lips. The delinquents in charge of the stretcher lift it gently and carried her towards the gate.

Flick zoned everyone out until they stop. She looked to Bellamy who stood by the head of the stretcher. "Why are we stopping?" Flick asked.

"I don't know," Bellamy whispered.

Suddenly delinquents in the front gasped and screamed. "Grounders!"

The boys carrying her, sprinted back to camp, making sure Flick didn't fall. They immediately took her into the drop ship and laid her on the cot. Bellamy, Finn, and Clarke hurried into the drop ship.

"So, how the hell do we do this?" Clarke turned to Flick and Bellamy.

"We've got 25 rifles with 20 rounds each, give or take. Roughly 500 rounds of ammo. While you two were gone, we made some improvements. Thanks to Flick, the gully is mined," Bellamy placed a gentle hand over hers and smiled proudly.

She rolled her eyes. "Partially mined. Thanks to Murphy," Flick said sarcastically.

"Still, it's the main route in. If the grounder use it, we'll know," Bellamy grabbed the box from the foot of the table. "She also built grenades."