08

CHAPTER EIGHT
in which monty goes missing

┈┈┈┈․° ☣︎ °․┈┈┈┈

Flick sat on top of the wall, looking over to see if any grounders were on their way to murder everyone in camp. Always the optimist. She heard footsteps and turned to see Bellamy talking to another kid on watch. "First watch is over. Go relieve Monroe on the south wall. Keep your eyes open," Bellamy turned to Flick. "Anything?"

She sighed and turned her body fully to face him. "It's been two days, maybe my bomb scared them off."

"You believe that?" Bellamy laughed.

Flick smiled and hopped down from the wall. "Not at all."

"Jasper says he can cook up some more gunpowder if he gets some sulfur, and then I can use it to make landmines so be careful where you step," Flick smirked at him.

"Ha! Funny," Bellamy faked a laugh. "What I really need is a thousand more of your tin can bombs I can roll into their village and blow those grounders to hell. That's what they want to do to us."

"Can't believe we survived a hundred years just so we could slaughter each other. There has to be another way."

"Any word from the Ark?" Bellamy asked.

"Radio silence. Finally ran out of air," Flick said quietly. "No one's coming to save us."

Bellamy and Flick parted ways and she made her way to the smokehouse to talk to Octavia. Murphy and Octavia stood there, sorting the meat, while Del was feeding the fire.

"Let's get this party smoking," Del said, winking at Flick.

Flick rolled her eyes. "You don't want the fire to be to big."

"Try knocking it down with some wet leaves," Octavia chimed in.

"You get that from your boyfriend, grounder pounder?" Del mocked her.

Wow, are all guys assholes? Or just the ones from the Ark?

"She's right. A hot fire won't preserve the meat as well," Murphy said, not looking up from the meat.

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse. Should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp. Just keep working," Del snapped at Murphy.

Murphy rolled his eyes and said something to Octavia. She lightly smiled at him before going back to her work. Flick opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by the wall of the smokehouse erupting into flames.

"I really can't catch a break!" Flick threw her hands up in exasperation.

Del ran like a coward while Octavia tried to get some of the meat so the camp doesn't starve. Eventually Murphy pulled Octavia out. Flick turned to follow, but a burning table falls in her path. An arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her out of the burning shack.

"What the hell were you doing, Flick?" Bellamy stared at her with angry eyes.

"I was trying to get some of the meat down so we don't starve," Flick said softly.

Bellamy's hard gaze softened for a moment, before he ran over to Murphy and Del to break apart their fight.

Flick sighed and walked into her tent, working on the bullets some more. She was hoping for silence, but the tent flap opened.

"What's for dinner?" Finn smirked.

"Split loads, turning one bullet into two. It's all I can do until we get more gunpowder. Jasper has a recipe. Yesterday I saw him taking buckets from the latrine. I didn't ask," Flick said.