Chapter One

"Why?" My best friend Tasha asks me, looking in his direction. We were sitting in our first period class, study hall, talking about boys. She was sitting on top of the desk, using the chair as a leg rest, trying to act cool. I shrug at her, looking back at him. "I mean, look at the poor idiot." She says, pointing to him. I turn around to see him doing some homework and talking with some nerds. His messy black hair and poindexter glasses adding to his urkel appearance.

"He is the king of dorks. And—oh my god, just look at his clothes." She finishes, shaking her head. I mean, his plaid blue button-up wasn't th worst shirt I've seen. He is dorky, but in a cute way. I really don't even know how I find his horrible sense of fashion adorable.

"What's going on, ladies?" Henry, another one of my best friends asks us, walking in late. He sat next to me and started to fix his shirt and jeans, making them look less disheveled. He obviously had been doing something fun.

"Luna says she's finally worked up the nerve to ask dorkasaurus on a date." Tasha blurts out, chuckling as I gasped.

"Say it any louder, I don't think people in Brooklyn heard you." I scold her, hitting her in the arm. She shakes her head as Henry falls into a fit of laughter. "Shutup. I hate both of you. It's not funny."

"I'm sorry babe but, him? I mean, I know you've had a crush on him for a while now but I thought you were over it. It's kinda pathetic to harbour feeling for Daniel Hart." Henry starts to lecture me. I look over at Daniel and sigh. I mean, I know he's a nerd and he's not supposed to be my type. But the thing is, he is just... so amazing. "Look at what he's doing! He's doing homework! You don't do homework, actually you haven't since 5th grade." Henry tries to make that a point.

"So what if I don't do homework? I don't have to do homework to like someone." I glare at him, feeling hot headed. He just sighs in exhaustion and shakes his head.

"I'm just saying, you two are complete opposites and I don't see how anything between you two could ever work." Henry finishes, taking out his phone. Tasha nods in agreement and they start talking about hanging out after school. I sit there, feeling like all my dreams have been crushed by one little statement. I guess it could be true- we might have nothing in common, but that's not gonna stop me from liking him.

**************

"How'd it go with ben last night, Henry?" Tasha says, eating her peaches that she got from the lunch line. It was finally the middle of the day, only a few more periods then I get to go home. I spent the last 5 periods thinking of ways to approach Daniel. I only came up with about three though.

"As I've told you many times, your brother and I don't get along. Just because we both lie dick doesn't mean that we are automatically a match made in heaven. he's about as narcissistic as you are." Henry sneers, bashing Tasha and her brother Ben. as those two started bickering,I looked across the lunchroom and spotted daniel with all his friends. I think they were playing chess.

"I'm gonna go ask him." I say, grabbing my bag and standing up. Tasha flips her dark brown hair behind her shoulder and grabs my hand. She tries to pull me back into my seat to no avail.

"Don't embarrass yourself, please!" She yells at me as I walk over to daniel's table. I pass some of the football team who holler my way but I ignore them, keeping to my path. I finally get to him and tap his shoulder.

"Um, Daniel?" I ask, tapping my perfectly manicured finger on his shoulder. He turns around, his emerald eyes instantly piercing my heart. His glasses were on the table, his handsome face being able to show not being hidden behind the thick frames. I forget everything I had prepared and come out with the first thing to pop into my head. "Did you do the homework for physics?"

"The homework? Yeah.. uh, sure. Want to see it?" He asks me, looking a little confused but going for his bag. I stop him before he retrieves the homework.

"That's actually not what I wanted to ask. I really wanted to know if you wanted to go out to a movie this weekend?" I admit, looking at the ground then back to him. His face was a cross between shock and confusion. "I mean, we don't have to if you don't wanna..." I drawl out, not sure what to say. Was I really being turned down?

"No, no,no. We can, uh, you know... go." He interrupts, waving his hands to stop me from talking. I instantly feel my stomach do some flips and I smile at him.

"Can I see your phone?" I ask. he mindlessly hands it to me and I put my number in his contacts. Giving it back, I smirk at him. "Call me later and we'll make the plans." I say, waving goodbye and walking out of the cafeteria, Tasha and Henry following me out.

"I can't believe that just happened. I hope you know what you just did." Tasha hisses at me, pushing her hair out of her face. Henry just walks behind us and starts to laugh as Tasha starts rambling. "You, go for nerd? Why can't you go for a normal guy? We have a fine selection of football, baseball, lacrosse, basketball and soccer players, guys with motorcycles, hot cars, jail records, tattoos and piercings and she goes for the goody two shoes type of guy. I bet he has a barbie blankie and a stuffed teddy on his bed. Thats how much of a wimp he probably is."

"Yep, gotta watch out for those barbie blankets." I crack up, my stomach starting to hurt from the laughter. She scuffs as Henry and I stop in the middle of the hallways trying to catch our breaths.

"You just wait... I'm right, you're wrong!" She claims, stomping off to her next class as we try to calm down. She was always so over dramatic.

**************

"Your phone." Tasha tells me, pointing at the gold and white iphone sitting next to her, careful to not talk too loud and wake a sleeping Ashton in her arms. I reach for it and look at the text.

hey, its Danny from school.

"It's him!" I squeal, not realizing how loud I was. Tasha hits my arm and I say sorry, feeling bad for almost waking the sleeping 2 year old.

Luna- Im glad you texted me. so you still wanna see that movie this weekend???

Daniel- yeah, sure. sounds fun

Luna- okai, ill text you the movies out and you can choose!

Daniel- okay, sounds good

"The movie's on!" I whisper-yell, silently celebrating to myself. Henry laughs, watching me do my victory dance as Tasha rolls her eyes, disapproving.

"I still think this is a bad idea. The baddest girl in New York after a geek? It makes no sense!" Tasha warns me. I was about to scold her for her bad attitude but Ashton woke up.

"I want mommy!" He starts to cry. Tasha looks at me, pouting and hands him to me. He instantly snuggles into my chest and starts to fall back to sleep.

"I hate you." She pouts, crossing her arms like a little kid.

"You love mommy more than auntie Tasha, don't you baby?" He nods slowly, halfway asleep. I kiss the top of his dark brown hair covered head and stick my tongue at her.