Prologue

I was basically born into slavery. Don't get me wrong, Omegas aren't technically owned by anyone, but the treatment and tasks we have to endure could be classified as such.

"Mommy, why are you crying?"

I remember asking my mother this once when I was very little. I had no idea what our rank meant or why she always looked so sad. It hurt me to see her like that even though I was so young.

"Oh, Raven... don't worry about me. I'm fine. Beta Bishop was just a little more needy than usual today is all." She gently took my little hand in hers. "I hope you never have to go through this."

I didn't understand what she meant then, but I do now. My mother was a delicate soul, unfit to be an Omega. She was beautiful and caring, and she did everything she could to set me up for a great life. I loved her so much.

She died when I was twelve. It hurt me to loose her. Not only emotionally, but also in terms of our pack, East Wind. With her gone, I was expected to step up and fulfill her duties. At my age, it was a difficult task. Though I tried my best, it never seemed to be enough.

The first time I shifted, it felt like I could do anything. My wolf was so strong and beautiful that I thought I might be able to overcome everyone's looking down on me. That thought was very short lived. I had to use my strength to hide myself from those who could hurt me and stay within the boundaries of my rank. Nothing is worse than having to play the game.

And so I have lived and slaved for the years since my mothers death. Always looking out the window and hoping that someday, somehow, I can be more than just Omega.