(7) The Three M's

Arnold and I sat in the Beta's office. He was shaking, and sweat was dripping slowly down his face. I internally rolled my eyes at him for being such a wreck, but I couldn't blame him. I couldn't stop seeing that girl. She was so much like me, I was shocked. That could have been me lying there in my own blood.

My thoughts were interrupted by Beta Bishop calmly entering the office and taking his seat at his desk. He cleared his throat and adjusted some papers before speaking to us.

"I have read your statements. Neither of you are at fault for the events that took place. For the next few nights we will up security, so this sort of thing will not happen again." He was very cool and collected, and I wondered how long it took him to perfect the facade.

"Sir, is there any particular reason you wished to speak with us? Other than delivering this news, that is."

"Yes, actually. We are under a lot of strain at this moment. The girl who fell victim last night was our leading trainer for all of our school students, so we are asking you two to fill in for her while we try to find a more permanent replacement. The Luna is already filing your paperwork, so you should be due to head in within the next few days. Thank you so much again for your services to the pack."

We were ushered out the door without the chance to reply. Arnold turned to me after a few moments of dead silence, a giddy look ok his face.

"You know, this isn't that bad! I totally thought we were going to be punished for what happened. Maybe teaching these students won't be so bad?" I let out a sigh.

"I don't know, shouldn't there be someone in this pack who could be responsible for that? Maybe this is going to be our punishment."

"Ah, try to lighten up Raven. I'm sure it won't be that bad! It's just high school students, how difficult could it be?"

Later that day, I found myself wandering along through the outdoor garden slash party plaza space. I had been given some free time, and decided to explore a bit. The only time I had ever been out here was a long time ago. Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me, and whipped around, ready to defend myself if needed.

"Relax, oh warrior! It's just me." Marcus laughed at my attempts of self defense. "What are you doing out here by yourself?"

"Maybe I'm trying to stay away from sneak attacks like that one, Marcus. You never know." I laughed and gave him a playful punch on the shoulder. "Hey, by the way. Thank you for being so nice to me. It's been one giant pile of crap since I got here."

"Yeah I get that. The girl who died yesterday looked a lot like you." He tucked his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Almost like you were the actual target instead of her. I mean, you clearly would have more reason to be murdered than her."

I gave him a confused look, and he just laughed and shook his head. He started to walk away, stopped, and turned back to face me.

"You know, you could get in a lot of trouble if you're not more careful about your job. Do try to stay alive, I'd miss you if you were to disappear." And with that, he turned back around and went back inside.

I couldn't make much sense of what he was saying. Was I in danger? Probably. But who was out to get me? There were so many possibilities that I couldn't possibly figure it out alone. My gaze turned upwards to the sky as the colors changed from blue to purple to pink. I had never really been able to appreciate a sunset before.

As night fell, I decided to go back to my room. There were different guards out, so I wasn't on the hook for being at my post. I was about to go up the stairs and go to bed when I smelled it- cinnamon and raspberries. It stopped me dead in my tracks. There was no possible way this could happen, didn't he reject me?

I bolted. My feet took me as fast as I could go away from the delightful smell, to the other end of the pack house and up a second set of stairs to get to my room. I locked the door behind me and flopped down on the bed. The feeling in my chest made me want to cry, but I choked the tears back. I needed to get some sleep in order to make any sense of my situation and the three M's; Murder, Marcus, and Mate.

Hello Readers!
I'm so sorry for the delay in updates. I have been CRAZY busy since the last one came out. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I'm hoping to pump out a bunch more updates soon to make up for the time it took to publish this one. Thank you so so much for reading!!!
~Cassmafrass💗