(2) Starting Over

I found myself wandering out in the territory of a neighboring pack. I was cold and tired from running through the woods, but there was no way I could rest. I knew that this pack would know I was here and come to find me soon.

What would I say when they arrived? That I'm an escaped Omega and get sent back to my prison cell? Or that I'm a rogue and face a trial or a fight? There was no way I could tell them either of those. I thought for another second before I sensed the presence of other wolves.

Two huge shapes lunged out of the bushes to my right, nearly knocking me over. One was a huge grey and white wolf, and the other was a slightly smaller brown one. They snarled viciously at me, and a third figure came out behind them. She wasn't shifted. Her wavy blonde hair reached down to her lower back, and she wore a muscle shirt and ripped jeans. Her arms were covered in beautiful tattoos, probably a tradition in her family. By her stature and the way she was walking, I could tell she was in a position of power. There was a fierce strictness deep in her hazel eyes.

"I am the future Beta of the Shooting Star pack. If you are a Rouge, we will not hesitate to kill you." Her tone was very matter-of-fact when she spoke, and though she was threatening me I feet an odd sense of respect. "State your name and business in our territory."

"I, um.." I glanced worriedly at the two wolves as they inched closer, ever so ready to snap their jaws around my throat. Think, Raven. "I'm... a refugee. M-my pack was just attacked by rouges." Nice save. "I was out for a run when it happened, and when I came back everything... everyone was... d-dead." I clutched my stomach as a couple tears dropped down my cheek. It wasn't a total lie I guess. I was running away, and my old pack was dead to me.

There was an immediate shift in all of the expressions in front of me. The two wolves stopped snarling. The grey one looked appalled at my story of a murdered pack. The brown whimpered slightly, bowing its head in sadness. The Beta's strict posture loosened, and she came forward to see if I was alright.

"Oh.. oh honey, that's so sad!" She placed a hand on my shoulder and wiped away my tears with the other. "My name is Sasha, I'll take you to the Luna here and see if she'll let you stay."

"Thank you." I nodded, and we started to move.

The two wolves, Sasha, and I all walked back the way they had come. A little before we reached the edge of the tree line, the two wolves split off to go behind trees and shift back to human form to change into clothes. When they came back, we stepped out into a huge clearing. In the center was about the largest pack house I've ever seen.

Sasha had escorted me to a room on the second floor of four, not including two levels of basement. I'd never been above the first floor before, so it was pretty cool. I sat in an office in front of a desk that was covered in books. The Luna must like to read. I felt that the books were calling to me in a way they hadn't before, like they really wanted me to read them. Just as I was about to get up and grab one, the door opened and the Luna entered the room, gracefully floating from the door to the seat behind her desk. When she sat down, she looked almost like a princess or a movie star.

"Hello, young lady." She smiled at me, interlacing her fingers on the desk. "I heard about what you told Sasha. What is your name?"

"Raven Brown, ma'am." I bowed my head to show her respect. "I am so sorry for coming onto your territory unannounced. I just have no where to go, and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to stay here?"

"It's very nice to meet you Raven. I'm sure you'll be able to stay, but there are a few things we need to discuss first." She leaned forward in her chair. "The first being paperwork." She opened a drawer and pulled out a small stack of paper. "Just sign your name where indicated while we continue discussing."

"Um, ok... what about the other part?" I picked up a pen and pulled the papers towards me. "Don't I have to fill everything in?" She shook her head no.

"Now, on to the second order of business." I started to move my pen across the paper. "Raven, tell me. What rank where you in your old pack? You seem more powerful than others I've met. I want to make sure there won't be any problems with our current leaders in place." I took a deep breath, cheeks hot.

"Um, I wasn't an Alpha or Beta ma'am, you shouldn't worry about that. I promise not to cause trouble in that aspect."

"Ah, perfect! Then I can get straight to the last thing we need to talk about." She took a short pause before continuing. "Raven, I know your pack wasn't killed by rouges." My heart dropped, my face was wiped clean of any color, and the pen in my hand started to shake violently. "I'm not going to punish you for lying or send you back to your old pack, but I want to set the record straight. Lying to your new Luna will not be tolerated henceforth." Her nice facade was gone, replaced by a serious business tone.

"I am so sorry, I-" I was so confused. "I'm so sorry for asking but, how did you know?"

She smiled again, standing from her seat. "I'm the Luna of the Shooting Star pack. It's my job to know. Sasha will show you to your new room and I'll file these papers with the Alpha. Welcome, Raven." And with that, she left.

My room was larger than anything I had ever seen before. I looked around in awe after Sasha left. There were shelves full of books, two lamps, and even my own window. The best part was the bed. It was what I would assume is standard size, but to me it was fit for a queen. The mattress was soft and I sunk into it when I laid down. The comforter was plush and warm, the pillows were fluffy- it was perfect, and it was above the basement.

I ran my hand along the spines of the books in the first shelf. I was so eager to read them all. A sigh escaped my lips, and I plucked one out from the rows to start.

I thought back on what my new Luna had said. If it was really her job to know everything that was happening, she must have some power over the pack. Hopefully she would keep my secret.

Not long after I arrived, I found myself tucked away in bed. Though it would be a tough road ahead of me, I felt confident that I could conquer anything thrown my way.