Hospitalization

When I woke up, I was in the hospital, needles sticking in my arms and something shoved in my nose. I coughed, my throat immediately protesting. I groaned and tried to turn over. Hands fluttered, holding me back.

"No, Jocelynn. Don't move yet."

I blinked again and a face started coming into view. Black hair hung over his face, coated in ash. His beautiful face was also covered his ash but his amazing eyes still shone like a shimmering amethyst. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. "Hey," I croaked.

Cole smiled. "Hey, Jocelynn."

"Call me Joc. It sounds nicer."

He laughed deeply. "Okay, you need more meds." He pressed the back of his hand to my forehead, his smile dropping. "How are you feeling? Honestly."

I frowned, the nose tube moving oddly. "I don't know. My lungs feel like they're on fire and my throat tastes like sandpaper. And then there's my head."

His face etched concern. "What about your head?"

"It feels fuzzy but painful at the same time, like my skull's split."

"Well, you did have a concussion. I guess you still do, technically, but you were bleeding really bad when I got to you."

"How did you get to me? There was a lot of smoke in there."

He looked away.

"Jocie!"

I looked over to my door just in time to see Clayton and Dad barrel through the door. Dad flung himself on me, grabbing my face gently and searching my face with pain filled eyes.

"How did this happen, Joc?" he demanded, his voice cracking with concern.

Clayton was looking at Cole with an odd expression.

I looked back at Dad. "I don't know," I lied. "I was in the library, getting books, when someone shouted 'Fire!' Then it got confusing. There were so many of us running and I think someone hit me in the face. I fell but no one helped me up." I frowned for emphasis. "Then I woke up and heard Cole calling my name." I gestured to him with my finger.

Dad looked up, scrutinizing Cole. His frown was highly disapproving when he turned back to me. Cole scowled at the back of his head. "Why would you go to the library, Joc? You never go to the library when wanting a book. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen you read anything that isn't new and isn't yours."

"I wanted to look into some stuff."

He sighed and turned back to Cole, who stiffened. "Well, son, I guess I should thank you for saving my daughter's life. From the looks of things, you were in the blaze as well."

Cole nodded. "I'm good though. Already got checked."

"Maybe you should clean up now."

His jaw ticked as his eyes flashed a dangerous purple. He uncrossed his arms, spat, "Fine," and stormed out the door.

"Well, isn't he charming," Clayton said sarcastically. "Seriously, Joc, a real keeper, that one."

I rolled my eyes, a slight smile forming.

Dad's frown deepened. "That's the boy you've been meeting at the coffee shop? Did you two meet up at the library too?"

And that brought up another question for Cole. How had he known I was in the library? Then I remembered how he had shoved that ghost. Was that part of his undead abilities?

"Jocelynn?"

I scowled. "We met at the coffee shop but the library was not planned. I didn't even know he was there until he was helping me out of the fire. Seriously, Dad, it isn't a big deal. Even if it was, it's still early yet. If it gets out of hand, I'll quit, all right? You know how I act with stuff like this."

He sighed and I realized he was frustrated with himself. Dad had a big heart for being a man. Or maybe all men had big hearts, but Dad was the only that showed it. Either way, in that sigh, I realized he just didn't want to see his little princess grow up and he felt threatened by Cole's appearance, like he was going to take me away from him.

I patted his hand and gave him a weak smile. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, sweetie." He leaned forward to kiss my forward. "You'll always be my princess."

Clay groaned. "Jeez, Dad, she's not dying. The nurse said she had an expected full recovery. She'll be out by tomorrow."

My smile widened, threatening laughter I knew would hurt. Clay had never been one for touchy-feely moments. The more emotion, the faster he ran. Now, he was stuck in a room of gooey, relieved love.

Dad stood up and wrapped him in a headlock, ruffling his hair while he complained. The nurse came back in then, looking a little shocked before smiling pleasantly at the three of us.

"The young man said you need more meds, dear," she told me sweetly as she stuck a needle in one of the tubes. "Don't worry; this will make you feel better." She patted my arm and smiled. "You should be out of here by tomorrow."

She left and I stared out the window, only slightly paying attention to Clay's and Dad's arguing and joking. A tingle ran down my spine and I turned back to the door. Cole stood there, leaning against the frame with his arms crossed, a smirk playing across his lips. I found myself smiling back.

He pushed off the frame and entered, cutting off my family's words. "Are the meds kicking in yet?"

Considering his eyes looked like they were multicolor and his hair appeared to have brown highlights, I would say they were. I nodded. "You're turning blue."

He grabbed my hand but something was separating our skin. I frowned and looked at it. Both of my hands were wrapped in gauze, as was half of my forearm. My knees also felt like they were wrapped and I pondered that. Oh yeah. The fire. I shuddered. If it hadn't been for Cole, I'd be dead right now.

"Cole, how did you find me?"

"I'll tell you later." His eyes burned as he met mine and he shook his head slightly. "Not here, Jocie. When you fall asleep, all right?"

I frowned, seriously not liking that answer.

The doctor came in then, gently rapping the door with his knuckles. "Visiting time is over, folks. You'll be able to see her again tomorrow morning." He smiled. "Until then, she needs her rest so she can recover."

Dad and Clay moved for the door but I grabbed Cole's hand fiercely. "Don't go. What if he comes back?" My voice was filled with terror. I could still see the melted face and sagging eye.

Cole brushed my hair from my face and gave me a half smirk. "Don't worry, Jocelynn. He won't be coming back."

"You dealt with him? Really?"

He smiled. "I dealt with him. He's not returning. Go to sleep, mortis vigil."

^**^

Sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite. 

If you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to vote!