Hellish Delicacies

The ball ended for me after that. Aidoneus returned to his seat on the dais and Mirrikh disappeared quickly, leaving me standing in the middle of the floor with Cole. He opened his mouth but I cut him off.

"I'm feeling kind of tired. I think I'm just going to go back to the room and sleep." I turned away.

Cole grabbed my arm, eyes shimmering with concern. "Are you sure?"

I jerked my arm from him, glaring at him. "Don't act like you care, Prince."

"Jocelynn—"

"Just don't, okay? Go back to your party and pretty women." I glanced behind him to see a group of them looking at us and whispering. "It looks like they're missing their prince."

"Joc—"

"Good night, Cole." I turned away and marched out of the room, the flock of women immediately swarming Cole when I was five steps away. I turned around the door, looking at him one last time. He seemed to be entertained, listening to the women chatter.

Mirrikh removed himself from the wall outside the doors so he could walk beside me. "I apologize for that display, my love."

I sniffled and wiped my tears away before he could see them. "Why? It wasn't your fault. Cole's the one who was acting all weird. I'm sorry he punched you in the face. It was totally uncalled for."

He smirked. "He loves you and he saw you with another man. How was he supposed to act?"

I passed him a look. "He does not love me."

"My jaw says differently."

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? Cole shouldn't have done that. He was acting irrationally, especially considering he's hated me since we came here."

"A prince can't show his weakness."

"What?"

"Come on, Jocelynn. Haven't you read any stories? In most of them, the prince falls in love with a girl, carelessly showing his affection for her. Then, when least expected, the villain in the story abducts her and claims her as his. The prince goes out looking for her, finds her, fights the villain until he's nearly dead, and claims his princess. And they live happily ever after."

"Okay..."

"Well, when a prince makes it look like he hates the woman, it means he loves her but doesn't want his enemies to know."

I snorted. "Yeah, okay."

"I'm serious. Most days, kings and princes need to act like they love no one but themselves, acting emotionless and snobby."

"Mirrikh..." I sighed.

"You know I'm right, Jocelynn. He won't admit and neither will you, but I'm right. I've been around forever. I think I know how these stories play out. The young prince always—always—falls for the young maiden he saw first, the one he can pour his heart out to. That's you, Jocelynn."

"Well, thanks for making me feel better, Mirrikh, but I actually am feeling tired. I'm still exhausted from travelling here." I laughed. "It's kind of hard on the human body, walking through a barren wasteland."

He laughed and turned to me, taking my hand. Bending, he kissed my knuckles again. "Very well. I don't know when I'll see you again, Jocelynn, but I hope it will be soon."

I smiled and continued up the stairs. When I finally reached the suite, I wiggled out of the dress, leaving it in a heap on the floor as I changed into what had been my pajamas during my stay here. I crawled into bed, pulling the covers up to my chin.