Home

Groggily, I peered through the tiny slats of my eyelids. The light, though dim, seemed too bright and I immediately shut them again. I groaned as I remember what had happened. My wrist felt better but there was still a dull ache in the bones of my hand.

"Jocelynn?" The bed dipped and I felt a hand press against my forehead.

My mouth was dry, my throat still parched. I licked my dried lips but that didn't do much. "Wa...ne...wat..."

"Need water?" A tinkling laugh sounded and I knew it was Katherine. But where was Cole?

"Uhn."

She laughed again and I felt a cool rounded thing press against my lips. "Drink slowly. You're severely dehydrated. Cole went to fetch a trustworthy doctor, but even I know that's impossible. Well, down here it is."

I attempted to crack my eyes open again as the cool liquid slid down my throat. It stung but it felt good, my tongue lapping it up like I had been thirsty for years. When the glass left, I blinked so my eyes could adjust. After they did, I looked around at the room I was in.

It looked like an infirmary of sorts, but darker. Instead of the white walls and sterile floors, it had the dark stone of the castle and dirt floors. The bed I was laying on was the size of the one in the suite Cole and I shared but it lacked the comfort level. Katherine was wearing jeans and a shirt and sat on the other side of the bed I wasn't laying in. She smiled when I met her gaze.

"It's been pretty rough here hasn't it? I'd apologize but I know that isn't nearly enough to make up for this."

I swallowed thickly and forced my vocal cords to work. "Did you know...about the...rebellion?"

"Yes," she replied, looking away and appearing crestfallen. "Donnie knows, too, but he tries to overlook it. There's not that many, mainly because the others know once another Shadow Man gets his Watcher, he'll have control. But it's been too long for some."

"How long...?" My voice quit.

"How long has this been happening?" she asked for me. "Since the first time Aidoneus spoke to them all. Right from the start, some didn't like his decisions. So, they struck out against him, doing specifically what he said not to do. They went into the mortal realm and wreaked havoc but Donnie soon put a stop to that. That was also when he decided I'd be safer with him."

"Did something happen? To you?"

She grabbed her stomach and looked at the door. "Yes. Cole didn't see it all, but I'm sure what he did see has scarred him. I think he only saw Donnie taking me, though. I don't think he saw the demons stab me with the stone or taunt me about Donnie. Luckily. Otherwise they would've killed him on sight."

"So did Aidoneus heal you, then, too?"

"Yes. Although he did it more gently. My stomach didn't feel like it was being ripped open again, as your hand felt like it was being broken again. And I didn't pass out." She smiled again.

"Why didn't he just have Cole heal me?"

"Cole, even though the Prince, isn't strong enough yet. He is strong, but he can't perform a healing without passing out himself. And then we would have had two bodies to carry."

I cracked a smile. "Still. Aidoneus could've been nicer about it."

"Yes, he could have. But I think his main concern was getting you out of there before any other rebels showed up."

"Mother!" Cole froze in the doorway, grinning when he saw I was awake. "Hey, Jocie. Are you feeling okay? I know Aidoneus didn't fix your hand nicely but it's not broken anymore."