Undead Ball

Everyone who had been dancing earlier was now standing around with glasses in their hands, talking animatedly with one another. Katherine headed over to Aidoneus, who smiled at me when she showed me to him. I smiled back, fidgeting with the gloves.

"My love," a familiar voice crooned. Mirrikh stepped out from a group of Shadow People and bowed before me, taking my hand and kissing my knuckles. "You look absolutely stunning. You are too beautiful for this realm."

I smiled and curtsied. "Thank you, Mirrikh." He looked really good, too, in a black tux with a bright red tie. His red eyes seemed amused and his hair even had a tint of red at the end of the spikes, I realized.

He grinned and it was actually nice, not revealing all of his teeth and appearing friendly. He looked around a bit. "But where is your pr—Cole? Your guardian."

"It's all right. I know he's a prince."

Mirrikh hooked his elbow with mine, resting his hand on it, and led me to the middle of the dance floor. "Oh, so he told you finally?"

I grimaced. "Not exactly. I kind of figured it out with Aidoneus said Cole was his son, and I realized since Cole's mother was his lover, it made him King. Something Cole told me a while ago."

"Well, at least you're remembering your training." He paused and faced me. "Can you dance?"

"Uh..."

He smiled. "Do not worry, my love. I can. You may step onto my toes, if you would like."

"Won't it hurt?"

"Jocelynn, it would be pathetic if I could not handle a few moments' pain to spend time with the woman I love." He laughed, deep and rich, a good sounding laugh. It made him sound alive, as alive as Clayton.

"All right." Hesitantly, I stepped on his toes, trying not to get too close to him, ignoring the tiny space between us.

Mirrikh, however, had no such reservations. He pulled me flush against, resting my head on his chest, as he grabbed my hand and wrapped his arm around my waist securely. And then, he danced.

He didn't dance to the music. No, Mirrikh never seemed the kind of guy to do anything according to what was correct. He made up his own steps, going faster than the slow song, spinning me out so fast I laughed, and pulling me back in quicker than I could comprehend. My hair fell out of its messy bun, falling against my back to spin out around me when he twirled us.

"Look, Jocelynn, you can dance."

I glanced down at my feet and realized I actually could. In fact, I realized I had been dancing this whole time, starting after he twirled me out the first time. I smiled and looked into his eyes, for once not freaked out. "You must be a good teacher."

He laughed again. "I think you just had lessons when you were younger."

"Nope. Dad never wanted me to dance. I could pretend to be a princess, but dancing classes were an absolute no."

"Ah, I have learned something new about you tonight."

I laughed, nodding slightly. "It seems you have."

"We are making progress." Mirrikh grinned. "That is a good thing, right?"

"Yeah, it is." I smiled and rested my head on his chest again. He dropped his chin, settling it on top of my head, and hummed his own tune. My eyes drooped and I began to feel tired. I yawned. "Is that something you made up, or just a song you heard a long time ago?"