Dresses

Katherine came in hours later, gently shaking me awake and telling me to get dressed because she had someplace she wanted to take me. Blearily, I crawled out of bed and put on my jeans and hoodie, trudging after her to the hallway. She grabbed my arm then and walked besides down all seven flights of stairs and toward two massive, fifteen-foot doors.

We walked in, Katherine grinning as she covered my eyes. When she removed them, I saw a large amount of people—well, Shadow People—floating around the room, dresses elegant and tuxedos pressed. Some had beautiful masks, decorated with feathers, bones, and sequins. I was immediately enthralled with all the twirling colors.

And then I saw Cole. I was so taken away by his appearance I chose a bench on the side of the wall and sat down. I lost track of how many song changes occurred, too enthralled in just watching him dance.

He danced with several Shadow Women, each of them smiling those fake happy smiles. He smiled in return and my insides would boil at the thought of him connecting to either of them the way he connected with me. I watched him twirl them around the dance floor enough to make me sick, but I couldn't take my eyes off him.

He was beautiful, radiant, in his princely attire, each brass button shimmering in the light as his cape twirled behind him, hanging over his left shoulder. The white cloth with red trim contrasted perfectly with his dark features, his purple eyes popping with their intensity. He laughed now and I clenched my fists, tightening my jaw and grinding my teeth together.

"My dear child, is something the matter?" Aidoneus sat next to me and observed his son as I did. "He is quite the dancer, you see. His mother taught him when he was younger but it was also ingrained in him since birth. All Shadow People can dance, whether they know it or not. He does look quite handsome in his robes, doesn't he?" He turned to me now, facing me completely.

"Yes, sir," I mumbled. "He is quite handsome."

Aidoneus grinned. "Ah, I think I may see now." He watched Cole again. "You are in love with my son."

I looked at Cole one last time before turning back to my sweatshirt and jean clad self, fidgeting with my sleeves. "Now, Your Highness, why would a lowlife peasant love a prince?"

He arched a brow, a smile flirting with his lips. "I do not know, my dear. Perhaps you could tell me. I hear several stories in which young, fair maidens fall for princes they should not get but do, by chance if nothing else."

"Beauty is not enough?"

He grabbed my hand and gave it a little pat. "My dear Jocelynn, a princess is not made up of beauty alone. Most of these women here will be lucky to have my son give them a second glance. A true princess has beauty, brains, strength, and courage. For princesses do just as much as the princes—more even. They fight in wars, raise children, host gatherings such as this one, debate politics, and can also clam the most angered man."

I fiddled with my fingers. "Then Cole cannot have me." It was then I suddenly realized my lack of everything Cole needed. I was hideous—my arms were proof—I couldn't debate worth anything, I didn't see myself as the motherly figure, and I definitely wasn't brave enough to fight in wars. To Cole, I was probably just a lowlife in his way. He had treated me as such the entire time we had been here, barely sparing me a glance as we passed in the hallways or while we ate our meals.

Aidoneus smiled again. "My dear, there is more to that than you can see for yourself. I think my son would be stupid if he did not take you."

"Only because I am his Death Watcher."