Compatibility

"Cole?" I asked tentatively as I stepped through the suite door. I walked through the main room, wondering if he was hiding from me, before heading into the bedroom. "Cole?" I whispered again.

The bed shifted and the covers flipped back, revealing a disheveled, shirtless Cole. "What do you want?"

I flinched at his tone but stepped ahead, wringing my fingers. "Um..."

"Jocelynn, I'm seriously not feeling good, so go back to your Shadow Man and entertain him. I'm sure he's missing your shining face already." He sighed and lay back down, staring intently at the ceiling.

"I left him at breakfast. He was listening to your mother tell a story."

"Well, I'm sure her story will be beneficial for you as well." When I didn't move, he added, "So go down there and listen to the story also. Sit beside Mirrikh, hold his hand, pat his leg, whatever. I don't care. Go play with your man."

"He's not my man."

A bitter laugh came from his lips. "Oh, he isn't? You two looked mighty chummy at breakfast this morning. Of course, it's understandable. He's the only one you know here besides me and my parents. I wouldn't hang out with my father if I didn't have to and my mother can only be found when she wants to be."

"Cole, I..." I took another step forward, biting my lip because I unsure of what to say. I'm sorry didn't cut it.

He dug the heels of his palms into his eyes. "Jocelynn, please. Just leave."

"I can't..." I stopped to swallow the sob bubbling up my throat. "I can't handle this, Cole."

"Can't handle what?" he sighed.

I walked over to his side of the bed, standing next to his prone form. "This whole situation. I don't feel comfortable here and you're constantly mad at me for something. You refuse to talk to me and I haven't seen you in three days, save for when we're sleeping. But even then, you come in when I'm just falling asleep and you leave before I wake up."

"Well, maybe you should have listened to me at the ball."

"Don't turn this on me, Cole. You're the one—"

He stood up as quickly as he had at breakfast, towering over me so I had to take a step back. He followed me until I was backed against the wall. I looked up at him and he placed his hands on either of my head, trapping me there.

"I'm not the one fraternizing with the enemy."

"Fraternizing—!" I started.

"I'm not the one throwing myself at a dead man because the one I had been throwing myself at started ignoring me. I don't play petty games at breakfast to piss off my former suitor either."

I gaped at him.

"Now, tell me how this is all my fault," he finished, smiling coyly.

Angry now because he turned this on me, I jabbed his chest with my finger. "None of this would have happened if you hadn't interrupted Mirrikh's and my dance! Why couldn't you just stick to your dead women and leave me alone?"

He laughed. "Are you serious? That's what you're mad about? Me interrupting you dance with a scoundrel?"

"He isn't a scoundrel."

"He was trying to get to you, appearing all caring and sensitive for you."

"We were talking."