Festivities

The festivities lasted for seven days. Why the Shadow People didn't call it a week, I had no idea, but whenever I asked about it they glared at me.

On the fourth day, I was sitting in the suite trying to decode one of the many books to no avail. Bored, I set the book down and cautiously peeked out the door, looking into the hallway for anyone I didn't know. There was no one in sight so I stepped out and walked to the stairway, going back down to the floor that had hosted the ballroom. I opened the doors, expecting to find nothing, but what I saw...it's still burned into my memory.

A giant crowd of Shadow People, all dressed in dark cloaks, stood in a circle. Wicked laughter came from the middle and there was just a big enough gap for me to get a quick glimpse at what was happening.

Souls—or what I guessed was souled—stood in the middle of the circle, being tormented by the Shadow People there. They would cower as a Shadow Woman would slash her claws against their faces, backs, stomach, arms, and legs, leaving nothing untouched. The worst part: the lacerations would heal almost as fast as the wounds were dealt, leaving fresh skin for the next claw strike.

And then there was the wailing. Every soul let out a blood-curdling scream, making it feel like my blood had drained from my whole body as my ears rung and my body shuddered. And yet I couldn't look away. My horror was so great, all I could do was stare at the little group, even when a figure stepped in front of me and grabbed my arm.

"What are you doing here, Jocelynn?"

Blinking, I slowly moved my head up so I could look at Mirrikh. "What...?" I glanced back at the crowd.

He grabbed my chin. "Don't look, my love. It's not something you want to see." His voice was soft as he dropped his arm on my shoulders and led me out to the hallway.

I clutched his cloak, the shock making my legs feel like rubber, about to drop my weight. "What are they doing, Mirrikh?"

He looked sad when he looked down at me, hugging me tighter. "Well, my love, the only thing I can call it is entertainment."

"It's torture!"

"Yes, it is. But Shadow People have no morals. They figure since these should were sent here, they are to be used for out entertainment, for fun. The heal so fast you can keep slashing them without fear of causing a mess or damaging them."

"That's disgusting."

He nodded solemnly. "Where is the Prince?"

"I don't know. I was actually looking for him when I saw you guys. I just woke up and he was gone."

"Well, he's probably in the dining hall then. The royals eat this late in the morning. Do you know how to get there?"

"Not really."

"Then I will walk you. It is unwise for a human to wander these halls. There are several things that would gladly eat you."

"Like those chittering things at night?"

Mirrikh balked. "You've seen them?"

"No. I just heard them the other night after the ball. I couldn't sleep so I was pacing. When they came in, I ran back to the bed and hid behind Cole." I glanced at him. "Why?"

"It's a good thing you went back to the bed. If someone, whether living, dead, or undead, is out of bed, they take them and you don't see them anymore."

"What?" I shrieked.

"I'm serious. There's been Shadow People who have gone missing, which is why the King specifically tells you to sleep in the bed."