Chapter 7: Morning Lesson

^Art is not mine^

•Three Months Later•

Simba sat atop Pride Rock, looking out among the lively Pridelands. A gentle morning breeze blew his mane, making him look majestic in his kingly place.

Although the morning was bright and cheerful, Simba wore a frown. Zira was in his mind again. Her name hadn't come up in the Morning Report at any time since Kopa's birth.

This meant that she wasn't causing trouble for once. Simba wasn't sure if he should be relieved or worried. Of course, as long as there were Outlanders, there was something to stress about.

Everyone in his pride knew of Vitani, and they all kept a watchful eye on Kopa and his safety. Nobody wanted something to happen to their future king.

Simba inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. He could only imagine what Zira was up to. For now, at least.

Simba relaxed when he heard small paw-steps behind him. He turned around to find three-month- old Kopa running up to him. Nala was standing at the entrance of the den, looking proudly at her family.

" Hey, Dad!" Kopa laughed as he ran between Simba's front legs.

" Good morning, Kopa," Simba replied as he lifted his large paw and ruffled Kopa's brown tuft.

Kopa laughed and jumped around excitedly.

" Are you gonna tell me about the Pridelands, Dad?"

" I have to go take care of my Kingly duties right now, but afterwards I'm sure I can tell you a little."

Simba caught Nala's piercing glare and gulped loudly. He looked down at Kopa and found him looking up at him with a frown.

" I-I mean, I can do my duties after I teach you," Simba corrected himself nervously.

He looked back up at Nala, who was looking at him with a proud grin. Nala was always making sure Simba spent time with his son. Kopa was more important than anything, and Nala made sure her son always came first.

Kopa was jumping around again with joy in his heart. He laughed as he planted himself next to Simba, prepared for his lesson. Nala walked back into the den as Simba returned his gaze to the Pridelands.

" Listen here, Kopa. This may be the most important information you'll need as future king," Simba began.

Kopa looked up at him curiously, eager for him to continue. Simba cleared his throat.

" My father taught me this same lesson. It's been passed down for generations. Someday you will be telling this to your son or daughter."

Kopa nodded to show his understanding.

" Everything the light touches is our kingdom. A King's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Kopa, the sun will set on my time here and will rise with you as the new King," Simba quoted his father.

Kopa looked out over the Pridelands in awe. All of this to himself? It was surreal. He couldn't believe it. Kopa scanned the whole savannah until his eyes rested on the Outlands.

" What's that place, Dad? It looks really fun!"

Simba was taken aback by his unexpected words.

" That is the Outlands. You are not allowed over there, Son," Simba stated sternly.

" Why not?" Kopa tilted his head, but kept his eyes locked on the dark territory.

" Because, Kopa, it is incredibly dangerous. Going there could mean certain death. I'm not meaning to scare you, but I can't afford to lose you. Promise me you'll never enter that area."

Kopa looked up at his father. Simba's eyes were glossed over as he held back tears. He couldn't appear weak in front of his son. Kopa noticed the beg in his eyes but didn't mention it.

" I promise."

Simba forced a small smile and turned his head toward the den just in time to see Nala come out of the dark entrance.

" Kopa!" She called.

Kopa was oblivious to his mother's call as he paced on the edge of Pride Rock, trying to see as much as he could.

" Kopa, your mother is calling," Simba grabbed his attention.

Kopa smiled at the sight of Nala and began running to her but stopped halfway to look back at Simba, who was descending Pride Rock.

" Where are you going, Dad?" He asked curiously.

" As King, I have to check on the Pridelands. And make sure everything is in good condition."

Kopa began walking towards his father.

" Can I come?"

" No! At least, not today," Simba quickly replied before making his way off of Pride Rock.

" Kopa!" Nala called once more.

Kopa turned back around and walked sluggishly towards his mother.

" Dad won't let me go with him. I mean, I'm going to be King one day. I should go to learn," Kopa sounded as if he was on the verge of tears.

" Kopa, your father is right about you staying here. You're safe here. You must stay at Pride Rock. No leaving the safety of this rock, Kopa."

With that, Nala turned around and led Kopa into the den. Simba and Nala were very well aware of the protectiveness they enforced on Kopa. But they couldn't risk it. He needed to be kept safe from Zira. Kopa was an automatic target, and Simba and Nala feared for their son's life.