Chapter 13: Checkup

^Art is not mine^

By sunrise, Simba and Kopa were asleep. Outside, the sky was purple and orange. Nala cautiously stood from her placement next to Simba on the flat-rock. She smiled warmly at her family before leaving the den.

She was going to fetch Rafiki to check Simba's wounds. Despite the King's claim of being fine, Nala figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

She ran through the Pridelands. Fortunately, Rafiki's tree was not too far from Pride Rock. Nala caught sight of the large, obnoxious tree and ran up to its base. It's faded shadow engulfed Nala as she stared up at its leafy branches.

" Rafiki!" She called.

Nala assumed the crazy baboon would be up this early, and sure enough, the monkey was swinging his way down to meet the queen.

" Good morning, Queen Nala!" He jumped onto the ground in front of Nala.

He held his staff in his right hand and walked on his hind legs, although bent over. He looked wide awake, as if he had been up for a while. Nala bowed to show respect.

" Good morning," she replied.

" What has brought you here so early?"

" I was wondering if you could check on Simba for me. He was ambushed yesterday and he's injured. He says he's fine, but I want to make sure," Nala explained.

Rafiki cackled at her justification.

" No problem! Follow Rafiki! He know de way!"

Rafiki took off towards Pride Rock, chuckling all the way. Nala chased after him with a grin. She rolled her eyes playfully at the way he monkeyed around.

Nala knew Simba would probably be upset with her for getting Rafiki. It didn't matter. They entered the den out of breath. Most of the pride members were asleep, including Simba and Kopa.

Nala walked up to Simba and nudged him.

" Simba, wake up. Rafiki is here."

Simba groaned and slightly opened his eyes.

" W-what? Why's he here?" Simba questioned, half asleep.

" De Queen has ordered me to check on your recent injuries," Rafiki answered for Nala.

Simba nodded and quickly fell back asleep. Nala shook her head and shrugged. Rafiki continued to look at Simba's injuries anyway.

Minutes later, the baboon turned to Nala.

" He has some minor injuries. I'd say he should not do any morning patrols for a while. In fact, he should stay off that leg," Rafiki decided.

Nala thanked and dismissed him. She then looked over Simba and the resting Kopa beside him. On the bright side, this meant that Simba had to stay in the den with Kopa. He was able to spend more time with his son. This brought Nala joy.

The Queen turned away from her family and began to walk out of the den when a thought occurred to her. She looked around and found Nuru and Sauda awake.

" Nuru. Sauda. Come with me," Nala ordered.

The orange and brown lionesses immediately obeyed. They walked up to her with welcoming grins. Nala smiled back.

" Where are we going, my Queen?" Nuru asked.

" I am taking over Simba's morning patrols until his injuries heal. Until then, you two are going to be my body guards during these border checks."

" We are at your service," Sauda replied with a bow.

" Thank you, girls. Now let's go. We're leaving later than we should," Nala stated, turning around.

They quickly left to patrol the border and check on the Pridelands. Things were going well for the pride.

Which wasn't always a good thing.