Chapter 49: Morning Patrol

When morning came around, Simba went on his morning patrol with Nuru and Sauda as his escort. They were quiet for most of the way, until Nuru noticed how observant Simba was being. 

" What are you looking for, my King?" she asked with concern. 

Simba continued to look closely at his surroundings. 

" Kopa informed me that there was a rogue lion roaming around the Pridelands," he said. 

Sauda suddenly groaned, " It's so hot today. We're not even halfway done with the patrol. Can we take a short break?"

Simba shrugged, " I suppose we can stop under the shade. Today is unusually hot."

He led them off the path and they went towards the closest tree. When they emerged from the tall grass, the trio stopped dead in their tracks. 

Imani and Koman were frozen, their shocked eyes locked on Simba and his escort. Anger spiked in the King's emotions, but he tried to remain calm. 

He cleared his throat, " What are you doing in my lands?"

Koman stood over Imani. She kept Sanura close to her side. 

" We do not intend to intrude, Sir. We merely have nowhere else to go," Koman explained humbly. 

Simba lifted an eyebrow and looked down at Imani. 

" You," he glared. " Aren't you Zira's best friend?"

Imani shook her head, " Was Zira's best friend. I have left the Outlanders."

Simba didn't believe this at all. He looked at Imani with suspicion. 

" You've been her best friend since cub-hood and you just decide to walk out on her randomly one day? That sounds unlikely," Simba observed. 

" After she tried to kill my cub, it wasn't difficult to leave," Imani confessed. 

Simba took note of her scabbed-over wounds, but he still had trouble believing her. Those cuts could've come from anywhere. Simba looked Koman up and down. 

" My son told me that he spotted a male lion last night hunting here in the Pridelands. Was that lion you?" he asked slowly. 

Koman could feel Imani's glare burning into him. He had given up their presence in the Pridelands. He had betrayed her. A frown covered his face, guilt filling his heart. 

" I did go hunting last night. I did not think I could be seen." 

Simba went silent, thinking about what he should do with them. Koman suddenly broke. The awkward tension in the air tore down his walls. 

" Sir, whatever you decide to do with us, I ask you to please spare Imani. She's been through too much already. This is all my fault. Punish me, but leave my family alone." 

" I'm not going to punish you, calm down," Simba growled. 

" Then what are you going to do with us?"

Simba turned away and Nuru and Sauda followed. 

" I will escort you two back to Pride Rock. There, I will have the Queen's support. You will be questioned further, and a decision will be made," he explained. 

Koman and Imani shared eye contact. Simba and his escort disappeared into the grass. Imani picked Sanura up by the scruff and the couple followed Simba to Pride Rock.