Chapter 42: When Things Get Physical

That night, Imani continued to stay away from her pride. She had found a place next to a tree. Her breathing was heavy as she reached around and brought a tiny brown cub to her front paws. It wiggled as Imani began to clean it.

Once it was clean, Imani looked down at it with pride. She purred at the sight of her new daughter. Her first child. A tear of joy crept down her cheek. Imani had never felt so happy in her life.

" Sanura," Imani purred her new daughter's name.

Sanura wiggled at her name. A small grin could be seen on the newborn's face. Imani smiled and watched Sanura sleep. She was much smaller than most newborns, and Imani figured it was because of the scarcity of food in the Outlands, which caused Imani to be malnourished.

The new mother's heart fluttered with excitement. She then licked Sanura one last time before putting her head down and sleeping with her newborn daughter.

The next morning, Imani made her way back to the pride with Sanura in her gentle grasp. She hung from her mother's jaws as Imani held her scruff. The new mother entered the den. Zira was watching Kovu attempt to play with Nuka. Imani approached her friend and lied down, placing Sanura in her paws again. Zira looked down at the cub. She looked unamused.

" So that's why you needed space last night," Zira commented.

Imani nodded, grinning from ear to ear. She was mesmerized by her daughter. She didn't want to take her eyes off of her.

" Isn't she beautiful, Zira?" Imani gushed.

" Ah, so it is a girl," Zira frowned.

Imani's grin suddenly disappeared. She glared at Zira, fear gripping her heart.

" Our deal," she reminded her.

Zira crossed her paws, " I know. But, even without the deal, I'm sure a simple gust of wind would kill her before I do."

" Zira!" Imani growled.

" What? Look at how pathetic she is. She's smaller than Nuka was when he was born, and that's saying a lot," Zira remained calm.

" She is not pathetic. She's only small because I'm malnourished," Imani frowned.

Zira shrugged, " Shame."

Imani looked Zira up and down with suspicion.

" I won't let you treat my daughter the same way you treated Vitani. I don't want her running away, too."

Zira suddenly snarled loudly. She snapped her jaws at Imani. A deep growl throttled in her throat, and everyone in the den was now watching. Sanura started crying.

" Do NOT speak of my daughter!" Zira roared.

" Why not? You mourned over her for six moons," Imani casually replied.

Zira was standing over her now. Imani stood as well. Sanura cried and wiggled under her mother. Zira snarled and smacked Imani to the ground. Sanura was suddenly left vulnerable. Zira unsheathed her claws.

" I had every right to feel that way! You don't know what it's like to lose your child!" She looked down at Sanura. " But now I can show you..."

Zira lifted her paw, with sharp, bloodthirsty black nails shining like knives. She knew one swipe would kill tiny Sanura. Imani gasped and jumped.

" No!!"

She knocked Zira to the ground and stood above her. Her lips were curled back. Her gums were black against her sharp, white teeth. Fire burned in her brown eyes. Her ears were flat against her head. Zira looked up at her. She had never seen Imani so angry.

Within the next minute, the lionesses were nothing but a large ball of claws and teeth. The pride all watched in fear. None of them were brave enough to step in and break it up. Sanura's crying was muffled by the loud growls and snarls that came from the physical fight.

Zira swiped at Imani.

Imani swiped back.

Blood was drawn.

Teeth were broken.

Nails broke off into the other's skin.

Both lionesses delivered heavy blows. Eventually the shuffling sound of the fight stopped, and once the dust cleared, everyone could see Imani pinning Zira to the ground. They breathed heavily. Blood covered their sweating bodies.

Imani looked at Zira with raging hate. Dark, red blood dropped off Imani's muzzle onto Zira's face. Zira attempted to bite Imani, but failed.

" Don't you dare touch my daughter!" Imani roared.

" You shouldn't have brought that thing into the world in the first place!" Zira retorted.

Imani snapped her jaws. Zira suddenly pushed her off, but didn't attempt to fight again. Growls continued to threaten each other from attacking again.

Imani slowly backed away. Zira watched her every move. Once she was at a safe distance, Imani turned away and picked up Sanura, who never stopped crying. Zira stood still, her legs shaking. She watched as Imani limped her way out of the den with little Sanura gently swaying in her jaws.

Once she was out of sight, Zira collapsed onto the ground from the weakness that resulted from her and Imani's first physical fight.

Sanura- "Kitten"