Chapter 20: Internal Conflict

^Art is not mine^

Six-month old Kopa stood tall on the edge of Pride Rock. His larger fur tuft blew slightly in a cool evening breeze. The setting sun reflected his bright orange coat. He slowly wagged his tail back and forth. The young prince seemed relaxed.

Kopa's red eyes scanned his future kingdom, imagining what it would be like when he became king. Kopa had changed a bit, he was still a playful cub. But he was less giggly and more calm. He thought more and payed closer attention to everything.

Nala sat in the den entrance, watching Kopa with adoration. He had no idea she was there. She was wondering just what he was thinking.

" Such a handsome prince," Sarafina said, sitting next to Nala.

Nala kept her eyes on Kopa.

" Yeah," Nala replied.

Sarafina glanced at the ground then back up at Nala.

" What's on your mind?" She asked.

Nala looked at the ground with a frown.

" He's growing up so fast."

" Ahh, I see," Sarafina grinned.

Nala looked at her, "What?"

" All parents go through this realization. You aren't alone, sweetheart."

" So... I'm assuming you went through this with me?" Nala asked, curiously.

Sarafina laughed," Of course I did. But I coped with it by spending as much time with you as I could before you didn't need me anymore."

Nala nuzzled her mother.

" I always need you, Mom. I'll never stop needing you."

Sarafina nuzzled her back," Thank you, dear. Now go make sure Kopa will feel the same way."

Nala nodded and stood up. She stretched before making her way up Pride Rock to meet with Kopa. He heard her coming but kept his eyes on the Pridelands.

Nala approached and took a seat next to him. She scanned the kingdom before them, not knowing what to say. They sat there in silence for many minutes before Kopa sighed and spoke up.

" I still can't believe this is all going to be mine one day," His soothing voice filled the evening air.

Nala only nodded. Kopa sat down and laughed. She looked at him, startled by the sudden outburst.

" What's so funny?" She asked.

" I can't believe this is all going to be mine," he repeated," it's kinda silly."

Nala shrugged. Kopa's mind was odd in its own way. He always tried to find the funny in things. He was enthusiastic.

" Something wrong, Mom?"

Nala was pulled out of her thoughts. She looked at him and found him staring back at her. He noticed her spacing out.

" Nothing. I'm fine," Nala lied.

She knew it wasn't right for her to lie to her son, but she couldn't be obvious about how she felt, at least, not yet. Kopa nodded and tilted his head.

" Why have you and Dad been so protective over me?"

Nala was taken aback but the question. He finally noticed it.

" It's complicated."

Kopa smiled," I have all day."

Nala shook her head.

" No, you don't. I'm going to teach you how to hunt."

Kopa giggled," But that's girl stuff!"

" Boys should learn it too, especially since you're going to be king," Nala stated, standing up.

" Fiiine," Kopa whined.

Nala smiled," Let's go."