Chapter 53: Future Plans

Rafiki came to check on Simba and left quickly. Kopa saw his opportunity and walked up to his parents to talk to them about leaving Pride Rock. Simba was preparing to sleep, and Kiara was snuggled up against Nalas side. Kopa hesitated before opening his mouth to speak.

" Mom? Dad? I want to talk to you about something," he looked back at Vitani, then his parents.

Nala tilted her head, "What is it?"

" Vitani and I want to leave Pride Rock."

Simba suddenly lifted his head, "What?"

" I don't expect either of you to give permission right away," Kopa mentioned. "I'm just telling you as a heads up, because we are thinking about it."

" Why do you want to leave?" Nala asked.

" To protect Vitani."

" I'm not understanding," she said, confused.

" I talked to her. She finally opened up to me and told me everything. She feels haunted by her childhood, especially since Zira knows where she is. Even though her mother is in the Outlands, Vitani still feels vulnerable. She wishes we could go far away, a place where Zira wouldn't know about," Kopa looked at Vitani, who had her head down.

Simba and Nala exchanged glances.

" I understand, Kopa," Nala started. "But we can protect you here. Besides, you're still so young."

The Queen realized that the thought of letting Kopa go was controlling her words. She could feel her heart drop at the idea.

" But Mom, I'm almost an adult. I can take care of myself. Besides, Vitani will be with me. We'd be okay."

" I- I don't know," Nala stuttered, beginning to panic inside.

Simba put his paw on hers and looked at Kopa, "Leave us to talk for a moment, Kopa."

The Prince nodded and walked off to meet with Vitani again. Simba looked at Nala and the Queen let some tears fall.

" I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Kopa is right," he began.

Nala looked at him with disbelief in her teary eyes.

" Being here, Vitani is more vulnerable to Zira than she would be if she was somewhere Zira didn't know about. It sounds crazy coming from me, but I think we should let Kopa go," Simba continued.

Nala began to slowly shake her head, "But what about his future being the king? What a-about um what about-"

Simba nuzzled her reassuringly.

" I know you don't want to let him go, Nala. But maybe this is a good thing. And about his future, we can give Kiara the opportunity to be Queen."

The Queen looked at her daughter, who was snuggled up against her side with a little smile on her face. Nala couldnt help but grin at the sight. More tears fell as she thought about Kopa.

" I'm not ready to take that step," she sniffled.

" I know. But Kopa is. He's willing to sacrifice his future to protect someone he loves. I believe we raised him well. I dont think it's right for us to stop him."

Nala looked at him again with a raised eyebrow.

" This is so unlike you, Simba. You aren't one to say things like this. If anything, you'd be more in denial than me."

The King chuckled slightly and looked down at his paws. He suddenly felt a little nervous.

" Well, someone would always remind me that my son is more important than my duty of being King. Kopa is following in my footsteps, and I couldn't be prouder," Simba confessed.

Nala realized he was talking about her, and how she would always make him choose Kopa over the kingdom. She suddenly felt bad, but at the same time, her mind was changing.

" I guess you're right," she decided.

" So, are you willing to let Kopa go? He can visit, it's not like we'll never see him again."

She hesitantly nodded, and Simba nuzzled her.

" I'm proud of you," he whispered into her ear.

She half-grinned, wondering if what she was doing was the right thing. Was she being a bad mother?

" Give me tonight. We can talk to him about it in the morning," Nala said.

Simba nodded and called Kopa over. He told him the plan and the young prince agreed and went back to Vitani. As the sun set outside, everyone began to settle down for the night. Kopa looked down at Vitani, who was snuggled against him fast asleep. He silently promised her that he would protect her before he fell asleep himself.