24: "Kage to Hikari"

A/N: Continuation of "Tenshi to Akuma"

****

A child has risen from the ashes,
born of the light, the child will rise;
In the feast of two moons, memories unfold,
born from the shadows, the child awaits.
Of life and death, a verdict will be made,
Choices will determine everyone's fate.

Time stood still for the child of the shadows.

The heir of the dark one awaits; as centuries passed since that faithful night. He wishes to see her once more, he wishes that he could undo what has been done.

"Jay..."

He hears a voice and sees the elder looking at him intently. "Lucia, you are here."

"I see that you've been weary ever since the feast, centuries ago. Is this about the child of the light?"

He looks at her and wonders, she eyes him intently "The heir to the dark one awaits, risen from the ashes...." she says as her eyes becomes glassy and dull.

Jay looks at her and remembers that Lucia was once their oracle. He listens to the elder one who continues to murmur broken words "....from ashes, a child will rise....ashes...return to dust...."

"Lucia are you alright?" He shakes her as the elder's eyes come to focus.

She looks at him in fear. "You must promise me one thing, Jay. For our people, you must promise me one thing...."

"What is it, elder?"

"That you must not...." she fails to continue as she faints and all is black.

Jay sighs moments after the scene has transpired. Everyone from their side of the kingdom looks at him in question as whispers of a prophecy resonates through an oracle who has retired ages ago.

"My prince, your father wishes to see you..." Freedo, his father's loyal subject informs him. He looks at the latter, refusing to abide by his father's rules. "Sir, you must see him. He is enraged...you must...."

"JAY!" A voice looms over the kingdom which makes their people tremble with fear. Jay closes his eyes and finally follows suit.

He looks at his father's menacing stare that could rival his; the only threat that could mean more than his. "What have you done, Jay?"

He looks at the leader of their people and smirks "What do you think?"

He roars in anger and slams the parchment he was reading at the table "Didn't I tell you? Didn't I tell you a thousand times that children of the light are off-limits? Didn't I tell you that the reasom we live in harmony for centuries is because we know our boundaries?"

Jay looks at his father in the eye "What is the problem?"

He strikes the table in front of him "The problem is that Lucia made a prophecy...."

"She is the oracle, is she not?"

His father sighs and says in deathly calm "The last time a retired oracle made a prophecy, it was in the beginning of time." The dark one looks at his son's ebony eyes intently. "Division of night and day, a prophecy from the beginning. But you...you defied the laws of our people."

"Father...."

"On the fourteenth day of the feast, the wheels of fate will start to turn..." his father recites.

"Your highness" someone interrupts them  "The kingdom of light requires your presence at the border."

His father looks at him once more, "We'll talk later...." he says as he walks away.

Jay follows his father and their subjects towards the border of the realm. Only leaders of both sides could talk eye to eye without bursting into flames. He could hear the arguments and Maine's father demanding to see him but his father retorts back.

Maine, I am sorry. If only I could turn back time, I would.
He steps back and walks toward the spot where she left him that night. If only I was brave enough to tell you that I also did lie, none of this would ever happen.

He sees the sky turning dark as he faintly hears their fathers voices reverberating through the borders of their kingdoms. His heart pounds as he looks towards the sky which is now painted with warm colors of twilight; a phenomenon that happened once, long ago. His eyes widen as he sees their moons gravitate toward each other.

Everyone gasps.
Their kingdoms tremble.

An infinite fire burns eternal at the place where she once submitted to her fate. Jay walks toward the fire and sees the shadow of a phoenix engulfing its flames.

His eyes widen as he sees a familiar silhouette emerging from the fire. "Maine?" He sees her and she extends his hand pulling her out. "Maine????" He grabs her amidst the burn he's having as he gasps yearning for air. No, he would not give up. Even if he dies, if this would mean that he could save her this time; he would do anything and everything to save her.

Her eyes open, the familar golden glow looking at him "No, Jay. Let me be. Don't do this."

He looks around and sees their fathers staring towards the fire, the leader of the kingdom of light uttering a prayer for her life while his father fights for his. Thunder booms around them but he has decided.

Jay moves towards the fire despite Maine's protests A life for a life. He looks at her and closes his eyes submitting to his fate. Maine's screams resonate and merges with the phoenix cries as it turns toward the sky.

Darkness and Light; a contrast for centuries.

Everyone scrambles towards their bodies uttering a prayer for their survival. Eyes still closed, both suddenly stand before them.

"Maine?"

"Jay?"

Both fathers call their children, hoping that the worst has passed; hoping that this time the prophecy was wrong.

"The wheels of fate did restart, fate finally has done its part...." Lucia's voice resonates.

Everyone looks at the couple, both of their eyes the same; one ebony and the other golden.

Thunder booms over the horizon as the kingdoms see the prophecy unveil before them where they await the fate of their realm.