Secrets and Trust

Aiden is meeting with Reagan and Jackson near Jackson's trailer, where he drops nearly a dozen moonlight rings into a bowl on the picnic table.

"Well, that's the last of them! Everyone out here is officially ring-free"

"And better off," I remark as I pick up the bowl examining all the rings.

"Easy for you to say! You're a hybrid. I'm back to turning every single full moon. And, if the wolves who are loyal to Finn come back here, they're gonna rip right through us." Jack and I look at each other, feeling guilty. He's right if they come back half these people have no way of defending themselves. "So I got to ask when's this wedding?"

"Ten days. After that, Reagan's power is your power. The full moon won't control you anymore." Aiden nods in agreement, though still looking incredibly nervous. "Spread the word: Any wolf who wants in needs to be here to bear witness to the wedding."

"Yeah, I can do that. What are you guys gonna do?"

Jackson smiles. "We're going to meet an Elder." I'm confused for a moment but then I recall some of the details from what our parents had told us.

"Right! We need an old-school Crescent wolf to conduct the wedding." Jack chuckles.

" Then, there are trials." Trials?! It's then that it hits me, one of the trials is that of development. Couples speak truths to each other in order to cleanse themselves and build trust. Jackson knows about Savannah but he has no clue about the twins... Of course, I trusted him with the information however, Klaus and Elijah were going to be a different story they'd do anything to protect their secrets.

Aiden clearly can tell I'm nervous. "Well, good luck with that!" Aiden takes his leave, turning back to Jackson smiling.

"Any idea where we can find an Elder?"

Jackson starts smiling. "Well, that depends! You got any interest in meeting my grandma?" I playfully scoff and elbow him, good-naturedly roll my eyes and smiles at him as we head off to find our Elder.

We'd started walking and continued for what felt much longer than it actually was. My mind preoccupied with so many thoughts it wasn't hard to feel completely overwhelmed. I wanted to tell him so many things, about me, my family, my kids, but any number of those things would get me killed. We were talking about the Original family here, they may protect me now but anything during this wedding could get me our the wolves hurt.

Jack who's been walking ahead of me turns back and stops when he sees the nervous look on my face. I'm so deep in thought I almost walk into him.

"Let me guess... feeling nervous?" He grins. I partially bite my lip and nod my head.

"A lot of stuff on my mind for a wedding in ten days. All of this is a lot..." I sigh running a hand through my hair.

"Yea... you're not the only one. Mary, my grandmother is one of the only elders left. So be on your best behavior, she usually doesn't like the girls I bring home." He smirks playfully.

I feign offense. "Ohhh! Really! Hmm. Exactly how many girls have you brought to meet her?"

Jack laughs as I try to smack him in the shoulder. "No, I've never brought anyone to meet her. So, you've gotta make a good impression, since she's got no one crazy to compare you with." I nod, caught off guard. I would have thought he'd had someone in his life.

" You're a great guy, I may be a crazy hybrid mom and I'd like to think I'm good with people." Suddenly, Jackson's grandmother, Mary, appears out of nowhere and joins them, holding a basket full of herbs and plants in her hand