For the Love of Family

Amelia

Amelia

The pouring rain was a minor inconvenience to the pack but I was still worried as to what it might mean. Pulling my hood up and stepping out into the pouring rain towards an awning where Mary was putting together herbs.

"How are the little ones doing?" I pull down my hood revealing my hair which has been pulled into a ponytail.

"Sleeping right through the storm, I really appreciate you coming, although you should know what you're up against." She gives me a look.

"An evil witch trying to steal the closest thing I have to great grandkids?" She shakes her head. "Not on my watch."

She holds up a bundle of herbs she's put together.
"I brought you something that might be of use. In my youth, wolves and witches had a peace." She holds a lighter in her hands. "A voodoo queen I knew showed me how to use herbs to see if magic is afoot. Combine Solomon seal and snapdragon and burn 'em." I nod aware that my mother had shown my something similar as a child.

She lights the small bundle and sets it in a clay bowl as I nervously watch the outcome.

"If the smoke is white it's all clear, if it's black, there's a hex in the air. And if it's red? Well then you know you're in trouble." We look down to the smoldering herbs as they release a black smoke.

"Crap."

"Just what I thought– this storm ain't natural." I rub my forehead in frustration.

"Dammit, it's Dahlia, she's trying to pin us down." Jackson and and another wolf approach, each holding a bow and a set of arrows. Hayley and Adam follow close behind not looking pleased with any of this.

"The road to the highway is flooded. The quickest way out of here is on foot through the back roads."

I curse loudly rubbing the back of my neck, they look at my in confusion.
"What's wrong?"

"Elijah called. Klaus is gone and god knows where he went." He sighs.

"That settles it– we've gotta get out of here."

"I hate to ask but what about the others?" I bite my cheek but nod as a signal to gather the pack.

"Alright everyone listen up!" The pack has gathered in the pouring rain to hear what we have to say.

I take a deep breath. "I want to thank you all for staying with us and protecting us as long as you have. For the past few weeks, each of you has shown Hayley and I more kindness than we have ever known. Despite hardships and tragedy, you've all become apart of the family we have always wanted. You're our pack." They all mumble and nod in agreement, I hesitate a moment before continuing.

"But, I can't ask you to risk your lives anymore than you already have. Dahlia is coming, she's powerful and she's not going to stop till she gets what she wants. Jack, Hayley, Adam, and I will be better off taking the kids and getting as far away as we can....alone." I know it looks as if I'm going to cry, to be honest that's what it feels like. The wolves look confused and hurt, Adam steps in to say his on piece.