Eyes of a Thousand

It was a nice day and a stroll through the quarter was thought to be a good idea

It was a nice day and a stroll through the quarter was thought to be a good idea. Emma and James babble happily in their stroller. Jackson smiles down at the two of them as they play and tug at each other's clothes. Giving him a playful bump in the shoulder his gaze turns back to me.

"Well, Mrs. Kenner , now that you've got a real local to show you around the quarter, where would you like to start?" A giggle escapes my lips as I shake my head.

"Well, Mr. Kenner, I'd ask to see your old haunts. However, we have two very impressionable young ones with us. Adam would always tell me stories, I'm afraid to know the nitty gritty details." Jackson sticks out his tongue while returning the shove from earlier. We intertwine our hands and continue to push the stroller along the way until we come across a violinist.

Stopping to listen as she plays a lovely song, we listen awhile before she dramatically ends the song. I stroll over and drop some money in her case.
"It was a lovely song." But as we start to walk away she starts playing a much slower tune. One that makes my skin crawl, I look back over my shoulder the violinist stares at us. Jack looks from me to her confused, I shake my head trying to convince myself its nothing.

"That song... for some ungodly reason creeps me the hell out." Jack rubs my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me. I glance back one more time, she still stares at us creepily, I grab my husbands hand and yank him along.

As we move down the street I start glancing around paranoid that someone or rather someone is following us. But just as my nerves calm slightly, I watch as a waiter writing on a chalkboard outside a restaurant, 'A promise made is a debt to be paid.' 
Oh my god. Dahlia.

I do my best to play it cool in case someone's watching. But we're stopped by a florist, holding a large black and red flower
"A flower, miss. A gift for the children." He nods to the twins.

Jackson grips my arm. "No thanks we're good!"

"Are you sure?" He holds the flower out to me.
"Black Dahlias are in bloom. They're quite lovely." A wave of fear hits me and I try to move past him but his hand on his arm stops me cold. Out of nowhere Klaus appears and shoves the man into a light post. Jackson wraps his arms around me in a protective manner as to keep me from being hurt or touched again.

"Show yourself witch!" Suddenly Jackson is overwhelmed by an unknown force as the florist's returns to normal.
"Klaus!" I shout pushing Jackson off of me. He spins around to find Jackson standing straight in front of us.

"I am here. I am everywhere, and I intend to take what is mine." Terror floods my veins as Klaus stands in front of me as I stand in front of the twins.

"It's her." Jackson suddenly groans as Dahlia leaves his body.

He looks around, both confused and disoriented. "What just happened?"

"Dahlia."
———————————————

Klaus paces around his study as I hold the twins on my lap looking as uneasy as when we first got in.
"Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls."