Chapter 10

I walked into work with a smile on my face. Whether it was fake or not, I didn't know. I couldn't stop thinking about Brian. What did he text me for? What did he want?

I tried not to think about it as Sharon and Ellie came over to me. They were going to be helping me out for my first week, which I was grateful for.

"Hey!" Ellie said, running over to me and hugging me, which shocked me a little. I hugged her back awkwardly and smiled wider. I still couldn't decide if it was fake or not yet.

"Did you listen to that band?" Sharon asked, smiling widely at me.

"Oh, yeah." I lied, "They were pretty awful." I saw both their faces drop.

"Aw, you suck. But we're not gonna kill you for it.. yet. There's still time!" Ellie said, sulking slightly. She cleared hoped I'd like her favorite band. They were my favorite too, but I could never tell her that. I couldn't even let myself think that anymore. I couldn't have any connection to my old life whatsoever.

Before I knew it, it was time to go home. I'd actually had a great time at work, I'd been helping edit some old clips for a short advert, and my boss was really impressed with my work. I hadn't thought of Brian or anyone else since that morning.

"I'm having a party this weekend, you coming?" Sharon asked me as we walked out of the studio. I considered it, it would be nice to meet some new people. But party's meant drinking, and drinking meant temptation. And I really needed to stay clean.

"I can't. I don't do parties." I lied.

"Bullshit. Everyone loves parties! There'll be loads of free booze!" she grinned, trying to persuade me, but it only made me not want to go even more.

"I don't like drinking." I said simply, trying to smile at her. But even the idea of getting drunk just one last time made me want to go. But I couldn't. It was a new start. I would not be tempted.

"Aw, you're such a failure. You don't like anything we like." Ellie said, hanging her head. I tried to shrug it off, but already it seemed my new life wasn't going to be so easy.

I walked home alone, trying to think about anything that wasn't to do with alcohol, drugs, or Brian. I failed miserably as my phone vibrated in my pocket.

Brian was calling.

I was torn in two on whether to answer or not. I really wanted to hear his voice, just so I didn't feel so alone. But I'd chosen to be alone, I'd chosen not to have anything to do with my old life. I took a deep breath before pressing reject on my phone screen and putting the phone back into my pocket.

It wasn't ten seconds before my phone vibrated again. He just doesn't give up, does he?

I tried to ignore my phone, but it just kept ringing and ringing. I pulled the phone out with a sigh, but to my surprise it wasn't Brian.

It was my Dad.

I turned my phone off after pressing reject. I couldn't handle this. Why couldn't I just be left alone? I thought leaving would be enough to tell them I didn't want to know them anymore, even if I didn't exactly say those words to my parents. I decided to get a new sim. A new number.

I didn't know why I hadn't thought of that before. Maybe it was because secretly I really wanted them to call, or maybe I was expecting myself to give in and just go home. But I was determined not to fail, I needed a new life, and that's what I was doing.

I got back to my apartment and made myself a cup of coffee. I didn't like coffee, but I'd been given some as a gift from a neighbor when I moved in, and I thought I might as well use it. I sat in front of the TV, but I didn't turn it on. I just sat staring at the black screen.