Chapter Four

When I woke up this morning I was entirely surprised that Kellin didn't smother me in my sleep. I felt sore all over but at least the pain wasn't unbearable, it was just slightly tolerable. Looking in the mirror I thankfully had no bruises on my face or anywhere visible, but the bruises I did see under my shirt were a deep shade of purple and I winced at any type of pressure on them. I contemplated faking ill, I would much rather be smothered in my sleep then go back to the academy. This meant I had to break out my anxiety pills though, when my anxiety levels get really high I become incredibly prone to anxiety and panic attacks. I haven't had an attack in years and I haven't really had a problems like this since middle school but I don't remember when my paranoia has gotten this bad. To be honest, I know medication isn't always going to solve my problems. Anxiety is a thing you have to just live with but I guess they do calm my nerves a bit more than just being on my own.

All these situations I have been in lately had made my miss home way more than I already was. I keep starring at that stupid family photo on my bedside table and wondering how they were. It was too early to call and I need to get ready for school. The week past excruciatingly slow and I would rather lose a limb then go to school so you would guess how happy I was for it to be a Friday, and my third week of school done. I wish I could be happy though, this means a weekend stuck at the Quinn's and possibly even Kellin if he was around.

I'll call my parents after school, I've been texting Mike a lot lately so hopefully he would keep them up to date but he has told me to call soon since my mom 'misses her little Viccy poos handsome voice.' which makes me a little hesitant to call.

When 7 am rolled around I finally walked down the large and long staircase as slowly as I could but right when I saw Kellin on the bottom floor I froze immediately, when he noticed me he looked more through me than at me. I only caught a glimpse of his face before I could read his expression and it probably wasn't a pleasant look but I still held my breath until he stomped out the door slamming it behind him. After a few minutes of literally just standing there frozen my body went on autopilot and without even noticing I drifted into the kitchen finding Mrs.Quinn flipping through a magazine like usual mornings. I noticed her eyes were a bit puffy and red as if she were crying. I didn't want to bring up anything that could potentially upset her so I ignored it.
'Good morning ma'am' I greeted politely.
'Nice to see you Victor, sorry I didn't call you down. I was a little busy and got sidetracked' she replied sincerely.
'It's alright, are you ready to go now?' I asked completely ignoring eating breakfast this morning.
'Sure thing sweetie' she then grabbed her purse and keys from the marble counter and lead the way to the car.

Once we were on our way, Mrs. Quinn glanced at me nervously. I decided to sit in the front seat this morning but it wasn't like it was an unusual occurrence. I looked back at her and she looked as if she was unsure about what she was going to say.
'Mrs. Quinn?' I asked in concern.
'I'm sorry victor, I'm a little distracted this morning. We need to talk.' she said. I started to get nervous and I could already feel my palms starting to sweat.
' Talk?' I questioned.
'About Kellin. I think you deserve an explanation for his disrespectful behavior' she answered. 'Kellin isn't a normal teenage boy. He has CHD and he has had it since he was born. 'CHD' means congenital heart disease, it's when either the heart or blood vessles near the heart don't develope normally. He gets medicated and monitored once a month. He also has gotten many surgeries regarding his CHD that caused us to move around from place to place. This is the longest we've ever stayed in one place and he's grown very attached. His surgeries also took a financial toll on us as well, believe it or not. To pay for them all Kellins father, Mr. Quinn has to work full time to pay for all the medical expenses. Kellin has never liked meeting new people and moving to new places and he never really knows how to act around them. His personalities switch to the people he surrounds himself with. Or that's what the therapist has theorized. That's why we have you here. You're an intelligent and kind young man and we wanted some of that to rub off on Kellin. So far it's not really working" she confessed. I was really shocked at this point, I had no idea what to say. She looked at me and noticed my expression
'I hope you understand it's not a personal attack, he's afraid of you if anything. He wants everything to stay the same because that how he likes everything to stay.' she spoke with a shaky voice.
The only thing I could really muster up from all that was 'uhh.. I understand'.
'Thank you so much for understanding Victor before I keep rambling, we've arrived." that's when I finally noticed we were just outside the school, I was too lost in her story to even notice what was going on around me.